Role: 4MI Project Specialist
The specific objectives of the 4Mi Project Specialist for the Great Lakes region are three-fold. The Specialist will play a key role in enhancing 4Mi/MMC presence in the Great Lakes region, by identifying partnership opportunities to expand 4Mi/MMC across the region and by advancing understanding of mixed migration from, through, and to the Great Lakes. In addition, the Specialist will guide the implementation of 4Mi in the Great Lakes (Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda and DRC) depending on projects, serving as a Deputy to the 4Mi Project Manager. Finally, the Specialist will directly support the 4Mi Project Manager in Nairobi in standardizing processes, and contributing to 4Mi activities when needed, across the wider Eastern & Southern Africa | Egypt and Yemen region.This role will also contribute to strengthening 4Mi programming across the world.
Partnership development and external engagement
- Identify and engage with stakeholders working on mixed migration across the Great Lakes region
- Research existing initiatives and gaps in information on mixed migration in the region
- Identify research priorities for 4Mi/MMC in the Great Lakes
- Develop an engagement strategy for 4Mi/MMC in the Great Lakes
- In coordination with the MMC Regional Manager and the 4Mi Project Manager, maintain donor relations with 4Mi donors and expand the donor base for 4Mi in the Great Lakes
Daily 4Mi operations and staff management
- To oversee the implementation of the 4Mi project in the Great Lakes in coordination with the 4Mi Project Manager, and where relevant coordinate with the 4Mi Global Coordinator. To ensure that all 4Mi project targets/donor deliverables are met in the Great Lakes.
- To provide technical support to the 4Mi Information Management Officer in terms of standardizing data quality and processes.
- Contribute to regional working groups.
Data collection, methodology and analysis of 4Mi data
- In coordination with the 4Mi Global Coordinator and the 4Mi Project Manager in Nairobi, support in improving the 4Mi methodology in the region (including, but not limited to, developing and refining a training manual for enumerators, respondent selection and survey design, quality processes) and, ensure the methodology of 4Mi is regularly reviewed with respect to increasing its reliability and voracity.
- Provide guidance and support to the 4Mi project manager and the ESA Information Management Officer in developing innovative data visualization and analysis for 4Mi.
- Keep abreast of new developments and ongoing debates on migration data and participate in brainstorming and strategy sessions on new areas of research.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in development economics, social statistics, migration or other relevant subject.
- A graduate with at least 5-7 years’ experience in an international context (with an NGO, an international organization or a research organization)
- Project cycle and budget management
- Proven record in survey design and implementation in complex settings
- Advanced skills in quantitative analysis and well versed in a statistical package such as STATA, SPSS, or R
- Strong ability to independently make rapid assessments and sound judgments
- Excellent communication skills and problem-solving skills
- Experience working as part of a regional team and in a multicultural environment
- A highly-motivated, organized self-starter who can work independently
- Reporting and drafting skills (highly desirable)
- Strong and proven interest in issues of migration and/or forced displacement
- Ability to travel (50%) of the time in this role (desirable)
- Strong speaking, analytical and writing skills in English and French
- Demonstrated understanding of current mixed migration debates and dynamics in the region is an asset.
Contract: Three months with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment; Employment band G-Non Management
Availability: 1st November 2022
Duty station: This position is based in Kampala, Uganda
Reporting Line: 4Mi Project Manager
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
How to apply
All applicants must upload to the DRC website (all in English) a cover letter, an updated CV (no longer than four pages) on https://drc.ngo/about-us/careers/vacancies/job/?p=165779 under Vacancies. Applications sent by email will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to sit for a test. Finalists will be asked to sit for an interview.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 30 September 2022
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Manager II SHARPEN 3 at Catholic Relief Services
- Advocacy Assistant – Accessibility at Sightsavers
- Assistant de Service Social (H/F) – CDI at Croix-Rouge Française
- Délégué.e adjoint logisticien.ne Projet Fonds Mondial at Croix-Rouge Française
- Finance Assistant – AP Shared Services at Save the Children