VVOB is an international NGO with programmes and projects in 10 countries worldwide. Our head office is based in Brussels, Belgium.
When you join VVOB, you become a key player in VVOB’s mission to ensure quality education as a key enabler for achieving the sustainable development goals. We implement our programmes and projects with one shared passion: to ensure the improvement of quality education. Our teams of national and international experts achieve this by providing technical assistance to governmental and other education actors. In doing so, worldwide we ensure capacity building of governmental and other education actors.
Do you share our ambition to ensure that learners around the world can enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception? Are you convinced as well that quality education guarantees equal opportunities for everyone and is the key to a better world?
We are looking for an Accountant who will operate from our headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Do you want to take on this challenge? Then continue reading!
VVOB in Kenya
VVOB has a long history of working in Kenya and will now restart activities again after almost a decade of absence in the country. We are starting up our first project in Kenya in 2022, and then gradually expand our project portfolio from there. Our first project will support the Ministry of Education ( MoE) with the implementation of the new competency based curriculum (CBC) in Kenya, specifically at the junior secondary level. The focus of this project will be on strengthening the instructional leadership skills of school leaders by providing them with new opportunities for their continuous professional development, complementing a traditional cascade training system with innovative app-based learning experiences.
Purpose of the function
As Accountant you contribute to VVOB’s ambition and values by ensuring the implementation, management and improvement of a high-quality accounting system and processes at the VVOB office in Kenya. You will reports to the operations manager. You are part of the operations department and will work closely with your direct colleagues. Furthermore, you work closely together with all other departments within your country and the finance department at HQ.
· You ensure proper and timely use and update of the accounting system and timely collection of good quality accounting documentation according to the latest financial guidelines.
· You provide information pro-actively and support the program team and relevant partners to improve the accounting system and to develop their capacity in the field of accounting and accounting requirements.
· You coordinate and supervise the compliance and correct implementation of financial guidelines and procedures.
· You are responsible for informing the management on the status of the accounting system, including critical issues, and you identify areas for improvement in the accounting system and processes.
· You examine and analyse financial records, prepare financial documents, reports, budgets and calculate tax information according to VVOB and donor’s guidelines.
If you’re our Accountant, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
- Together with the finance team and the operations manager you discuss during the weekly staff meeting on Monday morning what the highlights are in terms of finance and budgets for that week.
- You are asked by the Country Programmes Manager to assist in writing a budget proposal for a new donor, together with the program team and the Senior Education Advisor at Head Office.
- You receive an invitation from the Operation Manager to sit together to discuss the new travel and fleet policy and you are asked to brainstorm already about the financial implications of a few new proposals.
- By the end of the week you make sure that all the validated invoices are booked and ready for payment. You discuss some open vendors with a finance staff colleague.
- Next week the budget monitoring meeting is planned with the Head Office, so you start already to prepare the forecasting figures together with the programme staff.
Your expertise and experience
· Master’s degree in Finance, Business Management or other relevant field or equivalent experience.
· In depth understanding of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial market; banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
· Excellent computer skills in MS office and affinity with accounting and financial analysis software.
· Fluent in English
Nationality: Kenyan national
What we’re offering:
· A full-time contract until 31/12/2026, with the possibility of extension depending on the availability of donor funding
· This position is subject to funding approval
· A dynamic working environment in an international context
· An exciting job in a growing organisation with varied responsibilities and opportunities for professional development
· A competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply
Your motivation letter and a detailed CV are expected no later than 6 April 2022. Please use the webform to apply for this vacancy: https://www.vvob.org/en/position-6-accountant
VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or disability. VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or disability.
Is this not exactly the job you are looking for? Please have a look at our other vacancies at: