Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Assistant
Job ID: 2100054J
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
Reports to: Administration Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: Office Assistants
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people.
- To provide professional general administration support to the humanitarian team under the leadership of the Administration Officer. The job holder will also from time to time be delegated other support duties.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Event planning and coordination – support program staff during workshops and events (local, internal and external – e.g. meetings with other teams, partners training and staff training)
- Coordinate office equipment/supplies by ensuring that all the equipment in the office are working and reporting any malfunctions/repairs/changes to be made.
- Maintain general office equipment tracker: regularly evaluate equipment.
- Disseminate formal communications to staff as directed by Line Manager
- Take minutes of the weekly staff meeting as directed by the Line Manager.
- Prepare meeting agendas, minute taking, tracking actions and key dates and organising events, meetings/workshop logistics e.g. booking venue/room, setting up conference calls e.t.c and ensuring action points are shared in good time
- Provide support to the Humanitarian Team Leader including diary and inbox management, arranging meetings, dealing with enquiries as requested
- Carry out the filing of relevant materials and documents
- Supervises Office Assistants to ensure office premises/guesthouses and environs are clean
- Ensure required cleaning items and toiletries are always available
- Assist in the purchase of small sundry office supplies from Petty Cash for the office at large, and process invoices and expense claims as required
- Process monthly communication allowance recharge for all staff
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Line Manager
- Ensure compliance with Save the Children Quality Standards, Global policies and Guidelines.
- Assist in managing stationery items and consumable stores effectively and efficiently
- Receive requisition and provides supplies to concerned staff
- Issue out and support with requested items for training/workshop/meeting for the Program based on filled training form
- Manage the gift register.
- Coordinate all support requests from programme team members/visiting staff for local flight and hotel booking.
- Liaise with the required hotel facilities to find the best options available and ensure value for money
- Assist in local flight booking arrangements for the team
- Process payment of travel agencies invoices.
The post holder may carry out other duties in addition to, or instead of those outlined above which may reasonably be required from time to time, in order to assist the HR & Admin department by providing cover when any of the colleagues are on leave or because of an increased level of Field Office activities.
- Manages the Admin Department’s Petty cash
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Internal: Regular liaison with various teams in the CO and other state offices
- External: Contact with visitors, hotels, airlines/travel agents etc
Competencies and Behaviours
Delivering Results (Skilled):
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives.
Innovating and Adapting (Skilled):
- Suggests creative improvements and better ways of working
- Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
- Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
- Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled):
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
You might Also Like
Programme Policy Officer (School Feeding) CST-I (Mogadishu & Garowe) at World Food Programme
Deputy Nutrition Cluster Coordinator, Consultant (Level II), Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Joint Resilience Programme Coordinator) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Social Protection) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Food Systems) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Partnership) – NOA at World Food Programme
Communications Officer at Mercy Corps
Subaward & Compliance Officer at Mercy Corps
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled):
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Communicating With Impact (Skilled):
- Actively listens and seeks to understand before being understood
- Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
- Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
- Prepares effectively for meetings
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – HND / B.Sc. in social sciences/relevant field of studies
- Minimum – a year relevant work experience
- Must have NYSC discharge certificate / exemption certificate
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with proven administrative skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively in a constantly changing environment, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Ability to manage time and diary
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; written and verbal communication; fluent in English
- Understand the local language
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to both support colleagues and request support as and when required
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, vision and values
- Experience of working in challenging, insecure areas and willingness to work and live in a rural environment.
- Computer literate and knowledge of Word, Excel.
Similar Vacancies, Ngo jobs in Africa now
Confederation of African Football (CAF) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Administrative Assistant at the U.S. Consulate General
Medecins du Monde (MdM) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Plan International Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Population Services International (PSI) Job Recruitment (7 Positions)
Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV) Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Digital Communications Officer at ActionAid International
Compliance Director at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
Senior Technical Officer – Prevention, Care & Treatment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
WHE Team Lead at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Coordinator at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Security Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)
Regional Marketing Officer, SSA (Exams and Cultural Engagement) at British Council
Senior Technical Advisor, HIV Prevention at Pathfinder International
Associate Director, Pharmaceutical Care and Supply Chain Management at Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)