Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contract length:12 months
Contracted Hours: 35
Reports to: Head of Operations
Competency Level: 2
Salary Band: E
- To be responsible for developing, maintaining, and implementing essential administrative and logistics operational systems within a country to enable the team to function smoothly and effectively.
- Proactively taking responsibility for making things work, for example managing the relationship and performance of external suppliers and service providers.
- The role leads the administration / logistics subunit of the operations team at the country office ensuring the smooth functioning of the office, facilities, equipment, and smooth day-to-day office operations.
- The post holder is a member of the Internal Procurement Committee and may be appointed to hold any position within the committee.
- Compliance with Christian Aid policies, procedures and standards especially in the areas of Logistics and Administration.
- Effective and efficient business operational systems in place throughout the office and for managing relationships with partners and external suppliers.
- High-quality advice and support provided to staff and the Operations team leadership around procurement, administration, logistics, and day to day operations across all locations.
- Accurate maintenance of data relating to CA offices, assets, inventory and procurement processes ensuring fulfilment of all Christian Aid procedural requirements.
- Effective management of external suppliers working to agreed service level agreements or contracts (e.g. consultants, lawyers, landlords, internet service providers, security firms etc.)
- Support CA procurement processes, a member of the IPC with varying degrees of responsibilities and ensure compliance with the procurement policy, institutionalization of procurement best practices, and making recommendations as may be required to the Head of Operations.
- The role is positioned in the Operations role family. Based in Nigeria and the focus of the role is to ensure effective business operations within Christian Aid Nigeria. There may be some travel within the country as required.
- The role plays a significant role in shaping the country office’s administration and logistics structure and systems, culture and ability to use systems effectively. It manages CA property and its sources and secures various contracts (with suppliers, service providers, consultants).
- The role is keenly involved in processes including implementation of new policies and systems as they are rolled out.
- The role may be called upon to deputize or act on behalf of the Head of Operations, depending on the specific context and team structure.
- The role also oversees, leads, line manages and builds the capacities of other staff members.
- The role works closely with the other unit leads within the Operations team to ensure effective operations processes.
- The role contributes towards creating a conducive working environment for staff in the country office.
- External suppliers and service providers (e.g. landlords, lawyer, vehicle rental agents, consultants recruited for programme evaluations/reviews, security service providers, hotels etc)
- The role manages the administrative staff and other support staff as may be required. The role works closely with internal systems staff (IT, HR, Procurement Finance etc) in the country and within the region
- The role also liaises with other parts of the organisation, including internal audit, communications information unit (CIU), and any visitors coming to the country office regarding issues of administration, and logistics
- Budgetary / savings responsibility The role plays a vital role in business decision making around costsaving approaches and value for money putting into consideration context and other variables that will inform a robust outcome.
- The post holder has authority and accountabilities around general administration, logistics and procurement.
- The post holder is responsible for the day to day decisions around office management and administration liaising with the Head of Operations.
- Ability to apply logical thinking, creativity, analysis based on available data and common sense to task and responsibilities and testing solutions for day to day issues
Developing self and Others:
- Continuously look for opportunities for self-development. Give and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner. Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members, undertakes performance reviews and development of action plans to improve the performance of others, whether staff, interns or volunteers.
- The ability and desire to promote an open, inclusive work environment that emphasises cooperation and teamwork are essential
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance Standard Counter terrorism screening Required
Applied Skills / Knowledge and expertise
- Educated to Degree level in Business Administration or any relevant discipline. An advanced Degree will be an added advantage.
- Sound knowledge of Office programmes including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Knowledge of relevant database systems.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work with people of diverse background
- Proven experience of producing and analysing data accurately
- At least 3 years experience in a similar role and familiarity with operations of INGOs..
- Demonstrable ability to communicate fluently in English (oral and written)
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to manage a wide range of complicated issues and ability to proffer solutions.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use of discretion where appropriate.
- Pleasant and good-natured disposition with a ‘can do’ attitude /willingness to assist around the office.
- Excellent nonverbal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent people skills and ability to manage conflict/difficult situation.
- High sense of responsibility, proactiveness and reliability.
- Membership of relevant professional body
Digital / IT competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – N/A
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Intermediate
- Social Media Intermediate Data Visualisation – Intermediate
Application Closing Date
8th September 2022.
16th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant at International Organization for Migration
- Centre for Community Development and Research Network (CCDRN) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Programme Management Officer, Human Settlements at UN-Habitat
- Team Assistant – STS at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)