This is a local position and as such only US citizens and residents with authorization to work in the US will be considered.
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Duty Station: IOM Office to the UN, New York, NY USA
Classification: General Service Staff, G4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one-year contract with possibility of extension, Full-Time (100%)
Estimated Start Date: September 1, 2021 (tentative)
Closing Date: August 17, 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Director and the direct supervision of the Office Manager and Protocol Officer the successful candidate will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative support to the IOM Office to the UN.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
· Provide administrative support to the Director and the Office Manager and Protocol Officer;
· Assist in maintaining contacts with the UN systems, with Member States and with other relevant stakeholders;
· Schedules meetings and appointments for the Office, including, as necessary, for official visitors; also remind the staff members daily of events, appointments, etc.;
· Assist the Office on logistical arrangements for seminars, conferences, events and meetings;
· Maintains up-to-date work unit files (both paper and electronic);
· Drafts routine correspondence, monitors and oversees the flow of documents and communications from the IOM Office to the UN;
· Prepares and dispatches mailings of IOM documents for the Office, for which up to date electronic and physical mailing lists will be maintained;
· Prepares, processes and follows-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff and coordinate with the Office Manager and Protocol Officer the approval of Travel Authorizations (TA) and Travel Expenses Claims(TEC);
· Assist in taking note and preparing NFF of regular staff meeting;
· Answers the phone for the team members, and handles independently routine inquiries from other IOM offices, international and non-governmental organizations and diplomatic missions, directing non-routine inquiries to other staff members as appropriate;
· Ensures with IT proper maintenance of office equipment;
· Assist in updating the Office website;
· Providing support in operating the office reception desk in terms of receiving calls and facilitating access to the building through the security system;
· Assist in updating the BCP of the Office;
· Assist the office with basic Human Resources issues;
· Assist the Office on Procurement issues and asset management;
· Support the Office with general administrative duties, as necessary.
Performs other related general administrative duties, as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate Degree/Certificate.
- 4 Years of Experience in administrative services or related area; **
- Prior experience working in a multilateral system, preferably IOM UN context, along**
with familiarity with the UN system, its agencies, funds and programmes will be an
- Sound knowledge and understanding of current debates in the UN and its impacts onthe Organization.
· Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet; and IOM systems is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, or citizenship.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 17, 2021.