Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Only external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. This is a request for Curricula/expression of interest for Internship. Applications from all gender candidates are encouraged.
The IOM Internship Programme provides candidates with the opportunity to learn about IOM’s activities, to gain initial work experience, and/or gain knowledge on a broad range of migration technical areas and disciplines. Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Executive & Administrative Assistant, the successful candidate will assist in supporting the Chief of Mission and Head of Nairobi Support Offices’ activities, in particular filing and records management, travel planning, and preparation, protocol administrative tasks. The duties will include:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist and support the Executive & Administrative Assistant follow up with UNON for Protocol-related applications for international staff based in Nairobi
- Assist in updating the Protocol Tracking sheet and Monitoring the expiration dates for permits, visitor’s passes, driving licenses, diplomatic IDs, etc.
- Assist in physical and electronic filing of UNLP applications for international and national staff in Somalia and Kenya, as well as maintaining the Tracking Sheet
- Support the Executive & Administrative Assistant with the preparation of meeting briefing notes, finalization of Travel-related requirements, e.g. accommodation bookings & trip files, and follow up on travel expense claims with finance
- Assist the Executive & Administrative Assistant to provide staff members with DHL courier service support
- Assist in issuing colleagues with Reference numbers for official letters and communication
- Support in managing the booking of conference rooms for Town Hall meetings, UNON Briefings, or trainings (virtual and in-person)
- Support in monitoring the IOM Somalia general mailbox for urgent communications and flag these to the Executive & Administrative Assistant for onward action
- Provide support in directing/transferring external calls
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.**
Required Qualifications and Experience**
• University degree in Social Science, Business Administration, Project Management, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution OR a Diploma in the mentioned fields with at least 2 years relevant experience.
Experience and skill
• Experience in Management of Records and filing systems
• Experience in writing and editing communication and letters
• Experience in working with an international organization or an NGO
• Good organizational and coordination skills are an advantage
• Confidentiality is an important requirement in the CoM unit
• General knowledge of MS packages (ex. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
• Digital literacy and demonstrated knowledge of information technology in Adobe is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Kiswahili is an added advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Application Number (CFA No.), Position Title, and the Duty Station with three professional referees (preferably direct former/academic supervisors) and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
From 18.02.2022 to 03.03.2022