Position: Advocacy and Digital Movement Building Officer
Y-ACT, Youth in Action is a multi-country youth-led initiative established in 2017 at Amref Health Africa. Y-ACT mentors, supports, and increases the capacity of youth advocates and youth-led organizations to influence youth-identified health policy and resource priorities. Y-ACT believes that Africa’s youth have a huge opportunity to shift policy landscapes to address challenges that the youth face and subsequently achieve their full potential. Y-ACT’s network comprises youth-led organizations in 21 countries. Since inception, Y-ACT has been funded at a total of US $11.5M from various partners, contributing to movement building, youth advocacy and capacity strengthening of youth-led organizations in the region.
Y-ACT, in partnership with the African Youth and Adolescents Network (AfriYAN) and UNFPA Eastern and Southern Africa Region, hosts the #YouthPowerHub – a digital youth mobilization platform in Africa focusing on: Education, Engagement, and Collective Action/Mobilization to meet the current needs of the youth population and to foster youth-led accountability for the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD+25) commitments. The YouthPowerHub focuses on driving youth-led social accountability for ICPD+25 commitments in 23 countries in Africa: Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, DRC, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Y-ACT is seeking a progressive thinker with the ability to connect youth-led advocacy and social accountability with all aspects of a digital movement. The Advocacy and Digital Movement Building Officer will coordinate and manage the Youth Power Hub member youth-led organizations from the 23 countries, lead high level relationship management (internal and external) with Youth Power Hub partners, consultants and stakeholders, while having an open attitude to experimentation, and learning, framed within a youth-led advocacy and social accountability sphere. The staff will lead digital training for country-led efforts on youth-led social accountability. The staff will work closely with the Y-ACT Communications team which maintains the digital brand of the initiative, and work with Y-ACT’s grants and organizational development team for implementation of small grants initiative.
Youth-Led Policy Advocacy and Social Accountability Through a Digital Movement
- Provide technical leadership to the Youth Power Hub (YPH) youth-led organizations in the implementation of advocacy and social accountability efforts for the ICPD+25 commitments at country level, and promote the use of the digital tracking tool (Youth Power Tracker).
- Position the Youth Power Hub (YPH) as the go-to platform for digital youth-led social accountability on various sexual and reproductive health priorities, including ICPD+25.
- Coordinate effective youth engagement on advocacy activities for the East Africa Community SRHR Bill.
- Work closely with other Y-ACT staff and consultants, to review and deliver training on social accountability through digital platforms, and any support for the trainings at grassroots level by the youth-led organizations.
- Oversee the uptake of the digital course dubbed ‘POWER UP!’ beyond the scope of YPH youth power champions.
Stakeholder Management and Team Coordination
- Coordinate the partnership between Y-ACT, AfriYAN, and UNFPA Eastern and Southern Africa region as the key program stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to the YPH secretariat and lead the weekly virtual meetings, and coordinate the monthly partnership virtual meetings.
- Ensure the implementation of all work plan activities and the attainment of program targets through effective mobilization and engagement of Youth Power Champions across the 23 countries.
Digital Engagement and Knowledge Management
- Lead digital knowledge sharing events including webinars and peer learning sessions for Youth Power Hub.
- Work with Y-ACT’s Communications team and provide thought leadership in identification of digital solutions and growth strategies for the Youth Power Hub.
- Work with Y-ACT’s Communications team to develop and implement a detailed guide for multimedia content to increase YPH reach, including, editorial content (stories, advocacy images, campaigns, infographics) etc.
- Work closely with Y-ACT’s webmaster to ensure effectiveness of the Youth Power Tracker and identification of any technical issues that may require to be resolved.
Operations and Reporting
- Monitor and review Youth Power Hub annual budget and operational plans to support the program.
- Lead in the development and dissemination of Youth Power Hub quarterly project reports.
- Work with Y-ACT’s grants and organizational development team to support the Youth Power champions/organizations develop and implement quality work-plans and budgets for the sub-grants.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Social or Political Science, Project Management, or related studies.
- Master’s degree in relevant field is an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in coordinating advocacy initiatives focusing on sexual and reproductive health, online digital engagement and meaningful youth engagement in health priorities.
- Experience deploying partner mobilization and external communications for multi-country teams.
- Knowledge of Africa’s policy landscape and advocacy processes (including legal aspects) relating to youth health priorities.
- Experience working with coalitions /youth led organizations in Africa.
- Experience in conducting trainings or learning sessions (both in person and virtual) for diverse, multi-country teams.
- Ability to conduct advocacy activities on regional and international platforms.
- High organizational and time-management skills.
- Team coordination and stakeholder management for high-performance.
- Be hands-on on both coordination and operational tasks
- Strategic planning, with ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, tact and discretion when dealing with diverse groups of people.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Written and verbal communications skills in French is desirable.
- Passionate about youth in all their diversity.
- Easy to collaborate with, flexible, positive and energetic attitude
- Ability to work with and report to multiple partners across different time-zones.
- Being an ‘outside the box’ thinker, creative and not afraid to fail.
- An office space in Nairobi within Amref Health Africa headquarters, with an option of a blended working model (combining remote working with face-to-face meetings).
- Ability to travel at least 20% of the time.
How to apply
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/job/advocacy-and-digital-movement-building-officer-multi-country/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Closing date will be November 18, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment. Although Amref may use different job boards from time to time to further spread its reach for applicants, all open vacancies are published on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages. Kindly also note that official emails from Amref Health Africa will arrive from an @amref.org address.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Road show photography and Videography coverage at Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe
- Road Show Event Management at Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe
- Communications and Strategy Manager at Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia
- Regional Finance Controller – East Africa & Yemen Region for Kenyan Nationals Only! at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Coordinator at Jesuit Refugee Service