About the role: Area Coordinator
This is a 24 month, new role with unaccompanied terms based in El Geneina with a salary of Grade 4 (€44,133 – €53,941)
You will report to the PD and will line manage West Darfur staff. We would like you to start as soon as possible.
Your purpose: To ensure the effective implementation of high quality programmes in West Darfur state through the effective leadership and management of programme staff in the delivery on the outcome level results within our integrated programming. To lead and manage the systems functions (logistics, admin, HR and finance) for Concern’s programme in the state, ensuring compliance with Concern and donor policies and procedures. As the Concern representative in the area, the Area Coordinator will oversee management and development of Concern in the area and will develop and maintain good relationships with peer NGOs, local authorities and communities in which we work. The Area Coordinator is a member of the extended Country Management Team.
You will be responsible for:
Programme Development and Implementation
- Participate in the design of projects/programmes especially in relation to Western Darfur
- Plan and implement programme activities, staffing and procurement plans in relation to all approved grants for Western Darfur.
- Prepare regular reports on programme activities and expenditure variances for internal management purposes and for donors, Concern head office, local and national authorities etc.
- Prepare and regularly revise annual budgets for Western Darfur.
· Ensure a functioning Complaints Response Mechanism (CRM)**
- Ensure all aspects of Western Darfur activities adhere to programme quality standards and policies (PM&E, Programme reviews and learning exercises, CRM).
- Integrate mainstreaming activities (equality, HIV&AIDS, gender, environment protection) in the Western Darfur programme.
- Effectively manage allocated budgets and ensure all expenditure is authorised in accordance with Concern’s and donors’ procedures.
- Monitor monthly management accounts to ensure expenditure is accurately recorded and avoid under- or over-spends.
- Coaching and mentoring budget holders to manage their budgets.
- Reporting any suspected or actual financial irregularities to the Country Director
Representation & Networking
- ·Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with peer NGOs, local authorities and communities with which we work
- Capacity building and monitoring of local implementing partners
- Participate regularly in cluster and other relevant coordination meetings.
- Share information with other actors (other NGOs, UN agencies, private sector etc) for effective coordination and cooperation.
Support Systems & People Management
- Manage programme and support staff to create an environment conducive for effective programme implementation.
- Oversee recruitment of national staff and ensure optimal leave/R&R planning for national and international staff
- Ensure all positions have accurate job descriptions, that each member of the team has up to date SMART objectives and that performance development reviews are completed for all staff
- Ensure induction is provided to new staff
- Create and support a strong senior national staff team by providing technical support and on-the-job training.
- Ensure that every member of the team is aware of, understands and complies with all of Concern’s policies and procedures (P4, finance, logistics, HR, security management etc).
- Notify HR department in the case of any disciplinary and grievance issues
- Ensure strict adherence to Concern’s Financial Policy and Procedures and send timely cashflow forecasts to Khartoum Finance.
- Ensure regular cash, stock, asset and inventory counts
- Ensure the on-going maintenance of Concern’s premises (offices, stores and residences)
- Oversee and manage the transport and administration budgets for Western Darfur offices
- Ensure Concern and donor procurement, warehousing and fleet management procedures and controls are in place in each field office, understood and complied with by all relevant personnel, liaising with the Systems Team and System Director for support.
- Ensure all assets lists and inventories are properly recorded and maintained in all field locations.
- Ensure all monthly procurement, warehousing and transport reports from all field locations are accurate and completed in a timely manner and review these for any potential issues before forwarding to Logistics in Khartoum.
- Monitor, analyse and report on the security status in the programme area, across Western Darfur to the Systems Director.
- Ensure the implementation of security policies and standard operation procedures, and address security training needs.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the Security Management Plan (SMP) and that they adhere to all security protocols in Western Darfur
- Ensuring a functioning Security Focal Group **
- Implement the Western Darfur – relevant strategic objectives from the Sudan Country Strategic Plan.
- Actively participate in collective exercises (e.g. Preparing for Effective Emergency Response (PEER) plan, Security Management Plan (SMP) and other Concern initiatives.
- Liaise with other Concern Sudan programme coordinators for information and knowledge sharing on good practices across the country programme.
- Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as operational (e.g. HR) activities.
- Ensure the highest stands of accountability within and outside the programme and enable staff, beneficiary and other stakeholder participation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Be aware of, understand and comply with all of Concern’s policies and procedures (P4, finance, logistics, HR, security management etc.).
- Actively participate in any emergency response if called upon to do so (within the existing programme area or in a new one).
Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director or the line manager.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Masters’ degree in development or relevant Social Sciences: preferably public health/nutrition/WASH and gender
- Minimum 4 years’ experience of working in a development setting with extremely poor people, preferably with an INGO
- Strong technical expertise in health and nutrition
- Demonstrated experience of leading and managing project teams, preferably in a multi-sector or integrated programme.
- Experience with financial management of multi-programme, multi-donor projects in development settings.
- Strong interpersonal, motivational, communication and coordination skills.
- Effective oral and written English language skills as demonstrated in ability to write reports as required by donors
- Ability to utilise IT software packages including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Excellent coaching, facilitation and capacity-building skills.
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, accountability, participation and gender equality.
We would also like:
- Technical expertise in public health, nutrition
- Experience in overseeing support functions (logistics, HR, finance and administration) or of office management
- Demonstrated ability to analyse root causes of extreme poverty and design effective programmes to address them
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa in the field of humanitarian aid / development, preferably in Sudan/South Sudan.
- Previous experience of working with Concern and knowledge of their policies and procedures.
- Various community conversation methods applied research and training experience and skills.
- Preparation and management of training programs with associated M&E and follow up.
- You to be flexible and reliable
- You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others
- You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
- You to have some sense of humour
- Job City El Geneina