This role is responsible for receiving, storing and processing of mosquito samples collected during the BOHEMIA (Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Intervention in Africa) clinical trial to identify the species, the blood meal sources and the sporozoite rates using mass spectrometry, Immunoassays, and molecular biology tools, and to support in data collation, analysis, reporting, and preparation of presentations, publications for dissemination.
- Principal Investigator
- Interns as assigned by Principal Investigator
- Responsible for entomology lab orders
- MALDI-TOF MS mosquito sample processing and spectral analysis
- DNA extraction from mosquito samples
- Molecular biology assays: conventional PCR, qPCR, gel electrophoresis
- Immunoassays – ELISA for Plasmodium sporozoite and mosquito blood meal analysis
- Development, review, and redaction of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Sample management: Receipt, sorting, inventory, and biobanking
- Support compliance to applicable laboratory regulations (GCP and GCLP), in-house safety and health standards, and maintain all relevant documentation.
- Support in the request, follow up, collection of laboratory supplies from central stores, and maintenance of an internal chemical and consumable inventory
- Contribute to the development of scientific presentations, publications, and dissemination in internal and external forums.
- Attend to any other duties assigned by PI or their designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences/ molecular biology/ biotechnology/biochemistry or equivalent discipline
- At least 1 year’ experience in biomedical research
- Competency in conventional molecular biology assays (PCR, and qPCR) – e
- Experience working with mosquitos. Specifically, maintenance of lab reared colonies, and understanding of basic mosquito physiology
- Computer literacy: proficiency with MS office suite applications.
- Competency in protein profiling and spectrometric techniques (MALDI-TOF MS)
- Data analysis: working knowledge of MS Excel, and R software – desirable
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and communication skills.
- Basic analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills .
- Teamwork and ability to work in diverse teams.
- Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail.
- Good planning, organization and co-ordination skills
How to apply
To apply for this position, please use the below link:
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Supply Chain Manager at Population Services International
- Nurse – 5 Months at Wellcome Trust
- Capacity Building Advisor at SoCha LLC
- Operations Specialist – EOD Equipment Mechanic at UNOPS
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL – FOR THE DESIGN OF AECF CARBON MARKET FRAMEWORK, SME CARBON CREDIT AGGREGATION PLATFORM AND FIRST ,MARCH 2023