Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer – WASH
Locations: Gamboru and Ngala, Borno
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: Senior Technical Officer, EpiC-COVID-19
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health, Nutrition and Protection interventions
- The ATO WASH – Engineer will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites.
- Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the ATO WASH- Engineer will supervise contracts to provide upgrades to water systems, latrines, showers and water points.
- Other responsibilities will include conducting water quality testing for all water points rehabilitated under the program and working with Community Volunteers and latrine users to develop cleaning and maintenance schedules for latrines.
NGO Jobs in Nigeria
Japan Researcher at Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project
Humanitarian Affairs Officer at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Head of program implementation at Plan International
Senior Specialist, Research at Global Communities
Trustee at Global Network of Civil Society Organisations for Disaster Reduction
Expert in Migration Policy at American Bar Association
Terminology Officer at Translators without Borders
Technical Support Officer at Health Cluster
Finance Manager at EngenderHealth
Humanitarian Affairs Officer/Humanitarian Financing Unit at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
DME Capability Advisor at World Vision
Consultancy to Support the Development of MEL Data System at Global Communities
Data Quality Officer at UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Regional Digital Lead at Plan International
Biomedical Officer (Temporary Position) At Médecins Sans Frontières
IRAQ-RFQ-161-2021– Labor market assessment for Anbar-Iraq At Norwegian Refugee Council
Health Coordinator at Première Urgence Internationale
Associate General Counsel at HIAS
Enrollment Data Assistant at Save the children
ERT Safety & Security Coordinator at International Rescue Committee
Individual Consultant to provide services for adaptation of the Standardized package of supportive community-based services to improve TB outcomes At Stichting TB Europe Coalition
Research Fellow on Children and Armed Conflict At Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict
Administrative Assistant At DAI Global
Human Resources/Operations Coordinator – Asia-Pacific (Location Options) At Access Now
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH construction activities according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Implementing the FHI 360 WASH project by planning, integrating and managing the project cycle and creating timely internal and external reports.
- Representing FHI 360 externally in both the Humanitarian Community and with Government/LGAs officials as well as developing strong links with WASH and NGO actors. Actively participate in WASH meetings and other Government/UN forums at LGA level.
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of all the WASH construction (water points and latrines) activities in the IDP camps and community in the LGAs.
- Ensure that construction works is integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
- Liaise with Water Technician at the LGA level to conduct monthly/Quarterly water quality surveillance/testing programme.
- In collaboration with Environmental Health Officer, monitor WASH NFIs supply chain and stock levels in collaboration with warehouse/stores and logistics.
- Work along with team to ensure reliant water supply for all purposes throughout the IDP camps in the LGA.
- Ensure appropriate and safe collection, transport, treatment and disposal of all liquid and solid wastes in the IDP camps.
- Compile weekly, monthly, quarterly plans and reports on general Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion project works in the project implementation area for strategic interventions.
- This is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of this post and the post-holder may, from time to time, be required to undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA / B.Sc in Engineering with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Possession of a post graduate degree in a WASH/Engineering is required.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regard to engineering latrines, showers and water points.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in office and designing software skills (AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word)
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Program Performance & Quality Director at Mercy corps
Director of Development at Friends of Amani US
Assets Management Senior expert at Policy and Management Consulting Group
Brazil Programmatic Communications Coordinator at WITNESS
Senior Research, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialists at University of Rhode Island
Program Associate at Internews Network
Oceania Researcher at Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project
Regional Director of Social Services West at Kids in Need of Defense
Director of External Affairs at Path
Consultant MERL & Outcome Harvesting at Equal Access
Team Leader at International Development Law Organization
Communications & Fundraising Volunteer at Lighthouse Relief
Water and Sanitation Expert/Coordinator at MSF – Holland
Grants Administration and Reporting Manager at International Medical Corps
Research Assistant at Samuel Hall
OXFAM CONSULTANCY FOR MID-TERM EVALUATION OF PROSELL PROJECT IN TARABA
Regional Inclusive Governance Specialist at Handicap International – Humanity & Inclusion
Deputy Medical Director at Médecins Sans Frontières