Associate Communications Manager
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI seeks a Senior Associate, Communications that will support the development of communications and advocacy strategies while leading the execution of strategic communications and advocacy activities. This position will be embedded in and report to A360 – PSI’s flagship adolescent sexual and reproductive health project — with a dotted line to PSI’s External Communications department.
With funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, A360 has partnered with young people and government health systems to design, pilot and scale adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) interventions which position contraception as a tool to achieving girls’ self-defined goals. It operates across Ethiopia, Kenya, and Nigeria. In late 2020, A360 embarked on an ambitious new 5 year follow on which is focused on: i) strengthening the existing interventions; ii) supporting host government to adopt A360’s approaches; and iii) generating evidence, learning and global goods to support the adoption and replication of A360-inspired approaches by others.
A360’s new communications lead will manage our communications, support the country teams’ advocacy with health systems, and help advance our knowledge translation agenda. It is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in catalyzing change in ASRH policy and practice. You will be building on foundations others have laid but supporting some important strategic shifts in our target audience and the medium and style of our communication.
• *Develop key messaging and thought leadership content with technical and program leads. Draft messaging for presentations, briefing materials, talking points and speeches, and ghost write blog posts. Keep stakeholders apprised of updates through email marketing, social media campaigns, brown bags, webinars, and other vehicles for direct communications. (40% LoE) • Support in the development of communications strategies, work plans, targets and milestones for advocacy campaigns and projects in close consultation with senior team members and technical and program leads. Monitor deliverables and progress against strategy, providing regular updates to leadership. (20% LoE) • Advise program leads at the global and country level in the development and implementation of advocacy strategies and workplans. Provide ongoing support and help build local staff communications and advocacy capacity. (20% LoE) • Oversee the implementation of social and digital communications campaigns. Write and edit copy for the website and social media and oversee web maintenance. Develop and monitor digital channel results and report analysis to Manager and technical and program leads for use in adapting content and approach for greater impact. (10% LoE) • Work closely with technical and program leads and the Manager to identify online and offline events and conferences where PSI can promote its work and impact. Help determine PSI’s role as speaker, exhibitor and/or sponsor. Work with internal and external partners to craft panel agendas, secure speakers, and promote discussions. Identify and/or create the appropriate materials to support PSI’s presence at events including speaker remarks and presentations, and other collateral. Coordinate event logistics and speaker support. (10% LoE)
The responsibilities listed above are not exhaustive and PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles.
** The time percentages listed above indicative and may change.
What are we looking for?
• Bachelor’s Degree (or international equivalent) in communications and/or advocacy; journalism; public health, international development, or related field.
• At least 5 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted.
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills with keen attention to detail. Able to balance multiple priorities, wear multiple hats, and manage competing deadlines in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment.
• Excellent collaboration, customer service, relationship building/management and consensus building skills. Able to respond calmly and confidently in any situation.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Able to think creatively and approach tasks or problems in a new or different way.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and current Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com by 8th May 2022; Subject: Associate Communications Manager
Applications are currently accepted on a rolling basis.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Job City Nairobi