The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the role
The Associate Editor helps to ensure quality control across all our publications – from blog posts, newsletters, and website copy, to policy guides and major reports. The Associate Editor blends their outstanding attention to detail with their capacity to think strategically about the story, to work directly with Access Now’s internal authors to drive fresh, smart, succinct, and engaging writing. This role supports Access Now’s mission by helping our global team reach multiple target audiences around the world and convince decision-makers to take action to defend and extend the digital rights of people at risk.
The Associate Editor works closely with staff in Communications & Engagement on our Advocacy team, and reports through the Senior Editorial Manager.
What you will do
- Edit blog posts, web pages, newsletters, policy guides, and reports, assessing the quality and tone of what we publish and enforcing Access Now style guidelines
- Assist in curating, editing, and publishing Access Now’s weekly newsletter, and other email communications as needed
- Provide structural, developmental, and line edits as needed for major publications, including joint reports with partner organizations
- Support and help manage the editorial process for Access Now’s content, from concept development, to drafting, review, copy editing, and sign-off
- Liaise with key staff on the Communications & Engagement team to align priorities, timelines, and deliverables for report launches and other time-sensitive projects
- Rewrite text written by the global team as necessary to improve clarity and readability
- Flag and coordinate legal review of potentially sensitive content
- Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Fact check text for accuracy, including dates and figures for infographics
- Ensure SEO, follow the internal web content posting guidelines, and upload and schedule content using WordPress and Engaging Networks
- Assists in global implementation of the annual RightsCon summit series
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring
Do you love digital rights, the Oxford comma, and the process of taking a draft from promising to powerful? If so, this might be a great role for you! As a top candidate, you should be a stickler for detail, with the capacity to think strategically about the story being told in order to work with authors to keep their writing fresh, smart, succinct, and engaging.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience as an editor, ideally including the production of major reports, news investigations, and/or analyses on a daily basis
- Experience writing and editing content related to global advocacy for digital rights and/or tech policy, with demonstrated knowledge of current issues at the intersection of human rights and technology
- Experience giving feedback to writers, including those for whom English is a second language
- Command of both U.S. and U.K. style conventions
- Familiar with WordPress and/or other major web content management systems, online advocacy platforms and community-building tools, and comfortable with learning about new technologies as needed
- Comfortable and experienced with editing content for a range of digital platforms and channels
- Rock solid editorial judgment, and talent for crafting engaging headlines
- Excellent proofreader with the ability to maintain detail orientation while processing a large amount of information
- Capacity to manage workflow and juggle competing demands to meet deadlines in an often fast-paced non-profit environment
- Basic knowledge of SEO and social media, and an understanding of how to help craft content that reaches target audiences
- Flexible and creative, with the ability to brainstorm and problem-solve with colleagues at every level in a diverse and rapidly growing international team
- Bonus: You are fluent in Spanish, French, or Arabic
This is a full-time position, ideally aligned with our established Team Member presences in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Toronto, Tunis, or Washington, DC. Regardless of location, the successful candidate will generally need to align their work schedule to the UTC-5 time zone. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role. At this time most Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with intermittent use of Access Now offices and/or established co-working spaces.
Access Now offers competitive compensation in line with depth of preparation, skills and experience – and offers broad benefits packages aligned with our regions and office localities. The following are illustrative examples of anticipated initial placement within salary ranges, if filled within general regions:
- Canada: between C$6,100 and 6,350 CAD, gross monthly
- Europe: between €4,100 and 4,400 EUR, gross monthly
- MENA: between د.ت13,000 and 14,000 TND, gross monthly
- United States: between $4,850 and 5,000 USD, gross monthly
Benefits for this role generally include paid healthcare – medical, dental, and vision insurance – as well as access to supplemental retirement savings programs, among others. While specific compensation, supplementary insurance, and other benefits vary by region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and mental health/employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.