This vacancy is opened in the context of the Junior Professional Officer (JPO) scheme sponsored by the Government of the USA and is addressed exclusively to candidates WITH THE US NATIONALITY
Duties and Qualifications
The protection unit of the Field Office in Zwedru cordinates all protection activities at the field level. Zwedru is the largest field office Liberia covering PTP Refugee and Little Wlebbo camps as well as settlements with host communities in Zwedru township and a Transit Centre in Toe Town. UNHCR is currently implementing the Comprehensive Solutions Strategy on Ivorian Refugees which includes voluntary repatriation, local integration as well as exemption processes. in 2022, it is estimated that a total of 10, 000 refugees will be assisted to return voluntarily to Ivory Coast, the majority of which will be from Grand Gedeh and Maryland Counties, which are covered by Zwedru. The Associate Protection Officer will be expected to coordinate all activities of said vol rep under the general supervision of the Head of Field Office but with technical guidance from the Senior Durable Solutions Officer.
Under Cessation and Exemption, UNHCR and LRRRC have developed and adopted a workplan which includes capacity building of government officers, interviewing applicants for exemption, providing counselling to applicants who decide to appeal against negative decisions including those lodging the appeal to the Supreme Court of Liberia. Being the key protection staff in the field, the staff will be expected to provide said counselling and guidance to such refugees and ensure that all relevant protection protocols are adhered to.
For those refugees who will remain in Liberia after exemption as well as those not affected by cessation, there is continued need to follow up on all relevant protection disciplines including gender mainstreaming, Child protection, SGBV, Justice & Peace, education and sustainable development goals (SDGs).
At the moment, the protection unit in Zwedru is headed by a national staff at grade GL 6. With the implementation of Cessation and Exemption, it will be rather difficult for the said national staff to monitor implementation of such technical protection processes.
The JPO will also support the efforts of the Field Office to improve self-reliance and deliver durable solutions for refugees who opt for local integration in the relevant counties.
The protection of populations of concern is achieved through the application of International and National Law, relevant UNHCR protection standards and principles.
- The protection strategy incorporates a thorough age, gender and diversity (AGD) analysis and reflects the Organization’s global, regional and country level priorities.
- The Participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community based approaches.
- Protection incidents are immediately identified and addressed.
- Durable solution is achieved for the largest number of population of concern through voluntary repatriation in line with protection standards.
Provide guidance and direction to the Protection staff working with and under his/her supervision.
- Keep abreast with political social economic and cultural developments that that impacts on the protection environment in Liberia.
- Promote International, national and UNHCR policies, standards and code of conduct.
- Implement and oversee strict compliance and adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection and or durable solution activities.
- Supervise and manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection.
- Monitor and report cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents for immediate intervention with the authorities.
- Implement Comprehensive Solutions Strategy for Ivorian Refugees which inludes assessing, identifying and facilitating voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate resettlement in line with the operational priorities.
- Supervise the protection screening team in liaison with other protection staff to ensure that effective screening mechanisms are implemented and maintained for adequate and effective reception and registration of persons of concern
- Contribute to harmonization and integration of the use of proGres database as a protection tool in recording and generating protection needs and information.
- Update proGres with relevant protection information on persons of concern and apply relevant protection events as appropriate.
- Assist in assessment and identification of resettlement needs and apply appropriate priorities and categories for resettlement of individuals.
- Contribute to and assist in the design and implementation of capacity building for staff, partners and local authorities on protection and assistance related matters.
- Facilitate and supervise the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related Age, Gender and Diversity mainstreaming (AGDM) with partners.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Regional Emergency Officer at International Organization for Migration
- Project Officer (Counter-Trafficking (CT) / Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants (AVM)) at International Organization for Migration
- Operations Officer (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM)) at International Organization for Migration
- Associate Resettlement and Complementary Pathways Officer at UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Associate Protection Officer at UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Negotiate locally on behalf of UNHCR with prior approval of supervisor/head of office.
- Decide priorities for reception, interviewing and counseling for groups or individuals in liaison with Supervisor.
- Enforce compliance of staff and implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
University Degree in either Law, International Law, Political Science, Social Science or related field.
3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree. Minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience in field work, international protection, refugee protection, or human rights. Experience in the legal profession, knowledge of interviewing techniques, interpersonal skills, and previous work experience with refugees would be an asset.
Strong analytical and communication skills; computer skills; ability to translate theory into practice; and good drafting skills.
The incumbent should also have good interpersonal skills, and be culturally sensitive, particularly in light of the fact that he/she will be required to live in an environment requiring continuous interaction with a small group of colleagues of very diverse cultural background, without outside amenities/entertainment.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES.
* Protection Learning Programme/Protection Induction Programme.
* BID Guidelines Training
* RSD and Resettlement Learning Programme
* Statelessness Learning Programme
* Tarining in Child Protection, SGBV, Sexual Exploitation;
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit the UNHCR career page, click on the Vacancies tab and enter job ID 35418.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for this JPO advertisement is Sunday 22 May 2022 (midnight Geneva time).
- Job City Zwedru