The purpose of the Award and Sub Award Coordinator position is to support the Program Managers in managing and coordinating all financial aspects of Programs to ensure there is optimal compliance with contract obligations and that partners have capacities to administer the funds, utilise in an accountable manner and report timely.
The Award and Sub Award Coordinator shall keep the program team informed of all processes and procedures related to grants performance, including capacity building and institutional support. He/she will work closely with the program manager to understand the technical components, shall get day to day management support from program and program support units to support effective administration of the program.
The Award & Sub Award Coordinator shall report to the Award & Sub award Manager and Women’s Voices & Leadership Program Manager.
ROLES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
Grants Coordination, Contract, Compliance and Capacity Building-25%
- Work with partners to ensure the understanding of contractual clauses, support their development of actions (work plan) for implementing conditions in the grant agreement.
- Develop reports and share with Program Managers highlighting risks and challenges foreseen on contract compliance during field visits and upon review of program reports, while identifying, recommending mitigation actions including and not limited to enforcement of contractual agreements, capacity development among others.
- Document progress made against grants and contracts management work plans and Capacity Building plans on a quarterly basis ensuring to focus on emerging actions for follow ups and improvements.
- Support WROs in capacity assessment and contracting of partner WROs.
- Identify institutional gaps at partner level, discuss and develop conditions per partner and ensure that they are captured in partner contracts with clear timelines for meeting them and provisions for non-compliance, but also technical support required from CARE to improve on partner’s capacities.
- Develop in consultation with the MEAL Coordinator field monitoring work plans and share these for review by the Program Managers and Award and Sub award Manager, and upon approval implement these, with a view to strengthening partners’ oversight, identification of risks and taking actions to minimize risks to grants underutilization and misappropriation.
- Prepare field grants monitoring reports ensuring that you develop clear action points and timelines for follow up after field supervision visits and share these with the Women’s Voices & Leadership Program Manager and other Program Managers and Award and Sub Award Manager for review and further advice.
- Proactively and timely identify financial and governance risks of individual partners and communicate these in writing to CARE’s management through the Program and Grants Managers.
- Implement the operations manual, sub grants management, financial and sub grants policies and procedures to ensure effective CARE’s, partners and sub-contractors compliance to terms and conditions as well as systems and processes.
Budget Management and Partner Support -20%
- Support the program team in preparation and allocation of partners’ budgets, while ensuring that all partner scope is effectively budgeted, and are within approved budgets.
- With technical support from the Program Managers and other support partners in developing and operationalizing the program budget, grants tracking tool, and provide technical training for partner grants officers to ensure that all activities are accounted for in a timely manner.
- Provide training and support to partners in budget tracking, cash advance management, procurement and reporting.
- Provide training support to the Program team in the utilization of grants management templates and provide technical support during ongoing implementation to ensure effective CARE and partners’ budget management.
- Undertake monthly review of budget utilization by partners and flag areas of under/overruns.
- Support timely preparation of donor financial reports and all expenses incurred by partners and ensure they are dully accounted for before submission of reports to donors.
- Provide support to partners for timely response to budget queries
- Ensure effective implementation of all CARE financial and operational and administrative policies and procedures while undertaking budget management roles.
- Attending program coordination meetings as shall be advised and as shall be relevant and upon consultation with line manager.
Program Grants monitoring, evaluation and Reporting-25%
- Support the development of grants monitoring tools such as relevant forms and indicators for measuring compliance, field grants monitoring forms, budget tracking tools’, procurement plans and costed work plans and utilizes these in effecting monitoring and evaluation of performance of the grant to ensure optimal utilization and success of the program.
- Support the development of progress monitoring reports on grants performance
- Monitor partners’ utilization of grants monitoring tools developed for use by CARE and partners for the program and shares these reports
- Review partner reports for accuracy and compliance and share timely feedback on any questionable costs/activities.
- Review monthly expenditure statements generated by finance and advice on any adjusting journal entries.
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports to CARE Member Partners and donors as per contract requirements.
- Support the Women’s Voices & Leadership Program Manager in the development of TORs for program evaluations and financial capacity building sessions to ensure that grants and financial components are well articulated;
- support technical review of consultancy applications ensuring that concise assessment criteria is developed and operationalized;
Partnership Strengthening, Technical Assistance, Knowledge management and learning-15%
- Support Program Managers in organizing partner review meetings while developing key points and grants performance review presentations to various actors in order to inform challenges, lessons learnt and promising practices for purposes of improving performance and knowledge sharing in the program.
- Identify and program financial and governance related technical assistance needs for addressing capacity weaknesses based on capacity assessment reports and field technical support sessions; and support the development and implementation of capacity building (CB) and technical assistance (TA) plans.
- Coordinate with Program Managers in informing learning and improvements on grants performance, partnerships coordination among key areas of institutional development.
- Support the development of a system to identify and document grants management promising practices at the start of the program, organize partner review and sharing sessions, present program progress, lessons learnt and best practices
- Support CARE’s achievement of strategic interventions as outlined in the strategic plan, program principles and other frameworks.
General Award and Sub Award Management-15%
- Support due diligence exercises for the new partners, develop due Diligence Assessment reports to recommend or decline partnering with CARE Kenya.
- ii Identify Capacity gaps for new partners and develop plans for addressing these gaps. Provide support to partner monitoring.
- Preparation of monthly financial reports for projects to respective project managers as assigned.
- Preparation of project financial reports to donors as assigned.
- Support to proposal writing, budget preparation and budget reviews as assigned
- Ensure funds disbursement requests to donors are submitted on time to facilitate timely receipt of funds by Care in Kenya
- Preparation of draft IPIAs, MOUs, Partner Funding Agreements, Contract Addendums and Amendments, Fixed Awards, Preauthorization Letters, Support Letters and Contribution-In-Kind Agreements, for review.
- Uploading of Donor Approved Budgets for projects.
- Maintaining a register of donor requirements and project implementation tracker
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or Business Management or related field
- Fully Certified Public Accountant (CPA and / or ACCA) and in good standing with ICPAK
- Master’s Degree in a business-related field
Experience and Competencies Required
- Minimum Four (4) years relevant proven work experience in a busy environment
- Excellent in planning, analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft suite with advanced excel skills
- Adaptable, flexible, team player and able to persist in hardship areas
- Ability to solve problems and work with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of accounting /finance management system.
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting, and grants and contracts management processes
- Relevant donor policies and procedures
- Ability to maintain customer focus while handling multiple priorities
- Ability to learn quickly new systems, processes and procedures and accept local practices to global standards
- Good communication skills both oral and written in English
This role is expected to establish and maintain open, professional, and cordial relations with the COs internal and external customers. These include and not limited to.
- Country Office teams; SMT, Program Managers, Procurement and Admin, HR
- Shared Service Centre
- Partners and donors
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We do require that you have the legal ability to work in Kenya and while we would like to respond to all applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
CARE does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. CARE has a commitment to gender, equity and diversity in our workplace and operations. CARE respects and values diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, sexuality, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or politics.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria are encouraged to view the comprehensive job description and send in their applications through https://www.care-kenya.org/get-involved.