- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of Position
- Somalia Urban Resilience Project II (SURP II) is a municipal governance and infrastructure development project, aimed at improving access to urban infrastructure and strengthening municipal governance in Somalia.
- The Government of Somalia, through the Benadir Regional Administration (Mogadishu) representing all four Municipalities of Mogadishu, Kismayo, Garowe and Baidoa is providing technical assistance for the implementation of urban transport infrastructure by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the respective Municipalities. The works involve construction of urban roads to bitumen standards, construction of bridges / drainage works and installation of streetlights, by the contractors engaged by the respective PIU. Our client technical assistance to the PIUs includes in the areas of contracts management, supervision of construction works, quality control and preparation of various reports and documents related to the works implementation. The Bridge Engineer position to be based in Garowe of Puntland State will lead the our client technical assistance to a major bridge construction work in Garowe.
- The Bridge Engineer is expected to review the existing bridge design documents prepared by the
- PIU engaged consultants along with the contract documents and to develop the contract management and construction supervision framework for the bridge construction works supported with the Quality Assurance (QA) and other compliance requirements. The specific duties would involve;
- Assess the bridge design documents made available by the PIU including the detailed engineering design report, reference design input records, design drawings and specifications, bill of quantities and the contract documents for the completeness and quality;
- If the assessment found gaps or the need for design modifications, advise the PIU with recommendations/suggestions which might be considered for the necessary corrective interventions and for appropriate actions;
- Review the works contractor submitted work plan and the contract execution documents and advise the PIU for appropriate actions
- Assess the design proposed by the contractor taking into consideration of technical, contractual and operational aspects, and advise the PIU for appropriate actions;
- Supervision of the bridge construction works, and associated contract management activities, execution of quality assurance (QA) activities and manage implementation of the approved environmental social management plan activities at site;
- Ensure compliance to internal processes and procedures (QA, quality control, health & safety, environmental management etc.), promote consistency and industry best practices, and conform to all design standards and code requirements of the work;
- Assist the PIU in the assessment of the Contractors progress claims for payments, delay claims, variation requests etc;
- Participate in site meetings organised by the PIU, prepare site instructions and variation orders, represent our client at site and prepare periodic progress reports;
- Demonstrate a proactive, collaborative approach with project team members, client representatives, consultants, contractors, and other stakeholders as appropriate for the project;
- Act as the Resident Engineer for the bridge construction work managing our client technical support and resources, and being the primary point of contact for the PIU team; CRF – Resident Engineer
- Ensure skill transfer and job training opportunities for the counterpart staff provided by the PIU / Municipality;
- Undertake other tasks related to the bridge construction activities, as requested by the our client supervising engineer.
- Reporting to the Client Project Manager
- The selected candidate shall have the necessary competencies to deliver the following outputs.
- Bridge Design Documents & Contract Documents Assessment Report
- Contract Management Plan and the Defects Liability Maintenance Plan
- Bridge construction progress updates and reports
- Provision of high-level technical advice to the PIU & other stakeholders as required during the preparation and work execution phases.
- Assessment reports on Contractor submitted work plans, design modification proposals, progress / variation claims etc.
- Provide technical input to the preparation of operation & maintenance plans
- Contract close-out report
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Familiarity with international bridge design standards such as AASHTO or EUROCODES as well as and codes used in East Africa is required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with an internationally recognized institution is required.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply