Position Title: Budget Officer
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi*, Kenya
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 May 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management in Mogadishu, Somalia, the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO) and in close coordination relevant units at Headquarters (HQ) and Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi, the Budget Officer will be responsible and accountable for monitoring and assisting the management of the budgetary and financial functions of the Country Office (CO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with Resources Management Officer (RMO), monitor the financial management for all activities in Somalia including the financial expenditure and accountability.
- Initiate and undertake financial analysis and file reports of all activities for the projects. Draft donor financial reports and assist in ensuring that all commitments are cleared from the project.
- Assist in financial forecasting during project implementation phases and ensure all commitments of the project are actively monitored.
- Contribute to the establishment of a project-level budget monitoring and reporting system, monitor budget expenditures, and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions. Check accuracy of supporting documents.
- Respond to queries as appropriate with respect to financial aspects of the projects, liaise with external auditors wherever required.
- Undertake quality control checks on monthly accounts, ensure that all open items including bank reconciliations are cleared in a timely manner and review other financial matters with banks and vendors.
- Supervise and provide eligibility costs guidance to relevant Finance and Admin Assistants working under the project with recommendations and follow-up for changes in internal control system.
- Maintain the financial reporting system to ensure timely provision of information to relevant units within the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in close coordination with Head of Resources Management.
- Review payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Liaise with relevant units at HQ and RO Nairobi with regards to the budgetary and financial activities of the Country Office.
- Ensure that all administrative and budget related programme activities and procedures are followed.
- Assist the Head of Resources Management in facilitation of internal and external/projects audits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in finance, accounting and administration in the humanitarian assistance and complex setting; or emergency programmes;
- Practical experience in IOM or an intergovernmental field-based organization and administrative and financial management, budget monitoring and internal control procedures;
- Experience in preparing clear and concise reports, supervising staff and coordinating administrative activities;
- Previous experience in the region an advantage.
- Ability to prepare concise and clear reports.
- High level of computer literacy especially in computerized accounting systems and software.
- Knowledge of IOM/UN regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply
The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya with travel to Somalia.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 May 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 33 Budget Officer (P2) IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya (57964926) Released
Posting: Posting NC57964927 (57964927) Released
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Programme Officer (Migration, Development and Governance) at International Organization for Migration
- SSA IT Applications Officer at Education Development Trust
- Training Consultant – Effective Communication and Team Building for Workplace Productivity at Jhpiego
- Training Consultant-Pictures and Still Photography Communication at Jhpiego
- Field Accountant, Ethiopia at International Republican Institute