The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Budget & Programming Officer
Requisition ID: 160348
Organizational Context and Job Purpose
- The candidate is expected to be involved in the areas of Budget planning and management, support in funds management, pipeline management, and monitoring the use of donor funds in line with donor conditions.
- Also, as a national officer, the candidate will be expected to reinforce day-to-day synergies with key stakeholders in Programme, Supply Chain, and Partnerships.
- The Incumbent will work under the supervisor of the Head of Budget and Programming.
- Participate in the development and implementation of plans, policies and procedures for budget and programming activities (including PSA, Management Plan, Project budget, extra budgetary, ensuring that objectives are achieved in compliance with corporate, regional and functional strategies.
- Create and review project budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and advice to optimise resources.
- Monitor and provide advice on actions related to project closure and resource transfer.
- Monitor and provide advice on fund utilisation and advance financing, loan and borrowing, repayment and refinancing arrangements; alerting Country/Regional Directors to approaching deadlines for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls/surpluses, and proposing appropriate solutions.
- Monitor and manage the resource pipeline to maximise operational effectiveness, adhering to standards and processes, and providing advice on resource allocations based on severity of pipeline shortfalls using relevant pipeline tools.
- Contribute to the preparation of food-demand plans to support management and usage of corporate Global Commodity Financial Facility, and provide information and advice to guide HQ/RB decision-making when multiple projects compete for the same stock.
- Ensure correct budget and project documentation is created, and ensure relevant resource data is recorded in internal systems for reference, in line with WFP standards and procedures.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate reports, to provide consistent information for stakeholders, and to identify trends/issues and propose solutions that support decision-making by senior management.
- Analyse data and propose well-researched ideas to senior officers for improvement to systems, techniques, tools, processes and procedures to better monitor and manage budgets and funds.
- Build capacity of WFP staff in budgeting, fund management and operational planning, through preparing and delivery training, coaching, guidelines and manuals.
- Represent the unit at internal meetings/committees/working groups as required, in order to contribute to discussion of key issues from a budget and resource programming perspective.
- Manage junior officers/staff to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of financial risks.
- Other as required.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or another relevant field, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Minimum of five years of professional work experience in relevant fields with a background in preparing budgets and reports.
- Fluency (level C) in the English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Team player with excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to draft clear and concise reports on key issues and decisions within the delegated area of responsibility.
- Data and informational analysis.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Actively engage in the preparation of funding proposals, advocating for prioritization of resources by activity and modality as necessary, against operational shortfalls.
- Develop strategies that effectively match pipeline requirements with sourcing options in collaboration with Supply Chain and Program teams, building and maintaining productive partnerships at the operational level to ensure timely shortfall coverage.
- Lead working groups that proactively discuss resource availability and upcoming shortfalls, recommending timely mitigation measures.
- Manage the programming of the received funds promptly, according to prioritized operational needs, submitted funding proposals, donor conditions, and restrictions, and in close collaboration with the Partnerships teams.
- Build capacity of WFP staff in budgeting, fund management and operational planning, through preparing and delivering training, coaching, guidelines, and manuals. Represent the unit at internal meetings/committees/working groups as required, in order to contribute to the discussion of key issues from a budget and resource programming perspective.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Has experience translating operational requirements into financial information.
- Has experience preparing budgets and reports for management.
- Had produced consolidated pipeline information, budgets, supply chain, and operational plans.
- Has experience in reviewing plans and budgets.
- Has experience to work across functions to address identified resource management issues and gaps and make recommendations.
Application Closing Date
8th May, 2022.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Job City Abuja