About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
One Acre Fund is looking to grow our Business Development team with a new relationship manager who will report to our Managing Director and work with our writing, finance, and compliance teams to manage new and existing grant relationships.
- Grant origination. You will independently build a pipeline of personal and institutional donors, both domestically and globally to raise the funds necessary to fuel One Acre Fund’s growth goals.
- Strategy and partnerships. Increasingly, our funding arrangements are strategic partnerships with the world’s major institutional funders, crafted around goals that align with One Acre Fund’s long-term strategy. The US Manager will help create and operationalize these funding agreements.
- Team development. Over time, you will select, mentor and manage a team of professionals to help achieve our mission.
- Spokesperson for farmers. One Acre Fund is increasingly contributing to global discussions around agricultural development, and you will be a spokesperson for the organization, presenting at events across the country.
This is a fundraising development role. However, because you will play a role in strategy, partnerships, and operating a growing team, we do not necessarily need someone with prior fundraising experience. Instead, we are looking for someone with a thoughtful business orientation (e.g., former management consultant or similar professional), together with an abiding commitment to our values of humbly serving farmers.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. Youll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. Youll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Speak the language of business. We are not necessarily looking for a traditional fundraiser, as this is not a traditional fundraising role. Our donors are looking for someone with business fluency (communicates in financial sustainability, return on investment, impact per donor dollar)
- Experience in international development or the social sector
- People-orientation. We do not need an extreme extrovert, but we are looking for someone who wants to spend their day building relationships with people by pursuing referrals, attending conferences and networking events
- Ability to travel. When safe to do so, you will have approximately 60-90 nights per year of travel, half or more international. The dates of travel are flexible.
- You have strong written and spoken English communication skills.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
New York, NY or remote is a possibility.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of USA.
31 October 2021
*One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.*
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organizations mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.