Position: Business Development Manager – Climate Justice,
Region: East and Southern Africa
Office: Ideally based in Harare/Zimbabwe, or Nairobi/Kenya
Hours: Full time
Application deadline: June 16, 2023
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Business Development Manager – Climate Justice, East and Southern Africa
The climate crisis is a political, social and ethical issue, rather than a purely environmental one. Peoples and countries with low incomes and long histories of oppression are the ones facing the worst impacts of climate change, despite having contributed least to causing it. Hivos believes that locally-shaped climate solutions can bring about transformational change. Our vision is for justice, equity and human rights to be at the core of climate action, grounded in the priorities and agency of those disproportionally impacted. Rightsholders and local communities often lead change in their climate-stricken communities, but are rarely heard in decision-making. These women, indigenous peoples, youth, urban poor, and smallholder farmers must own, participate in and benefit from climate action.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is part of the Business Development unit and reports to the Head of Business Development. This is a global team and together with colleagues – both in the team and across the regions where Hivos works – the BDM secures funding for impactful global and local programs. This is a pivotal role in the heart of Hivos programming. The BDM in this specific role is also part of the team in the East and Southern Africa Hubs, physically located in the region to ensure proximity to other colleagues, partners, donors and other key stakeholders.
The BDM creates and maintains intimate and productive relationships with (key) funders, leads business development processes and builds strategic partnerships and consortia for fundraising in the field of Climate Justice. The BDM will be responsible for a specific percentage of Hivos’ annual income as a result of market analysis and donor capture plans. The BDM analyzes opportunities, ensures proposals fulfil internal and donor requirements and translates Hivos conceptual thinking into viable, sustainable and financially sound propositions.
The BDM works in tandem with colleagues to ensure thematically solid propositions in line with Hivos strategy and supports hub directors and program colleagues to develop local and global donor relations, donor intimacy and attractive propositions for funding. The BDM will scout and follow up new business development opportunities. The BDM works with the Senior Contract & Negotiations Officer to ensure proposals and deals positively contribute to Hivos business continuity, and ensures early, active participation of the Budget Specialist. Above all, the BDM excels in writing strong, winning proposals. The BDM also supports program colleagues to develop winning repeat deals.
Key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Lead in gathering donor intelligence and preparing for pro-active fundraising in East and Southern Africa, as well as for forecasted opportunities, including partner identification and engagement.
- Facilitate well-informed Go/No Go decisions.
- Develop winning proposals for submission to donors for the African regions. This includes analyzing donor requirements, leading partner negotiations, coordinating effective and timely inputs for proposal & budget development from team members as well as partners, and prepare narrative/technical proposals for submission.
- Provide support in response to global calls for proposals, providing African context specific information, developing specific sections of the proposal, peer-reviewing the proposal and/or liaising with regional partners.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Hivos funders in the region. Identify trends and priorities of these funders and ensure early access to opportunities. Where relevant, participate in regional events and/or donor visits for visibility and positioning.
- Manage pro-active opportunities and proposals in the Hivos Customer Relations Management (CRM) system, including adding donor intelligence to this CRM system.
- Lead and participate in evaluations of both successful and unsuccessful proposal processes and identify areas of improvement.
- Support program colleagues in preparing no-cost and cost extensions for ongoing programs, including actively engaging to fundraise for follow-up or repeat programs.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in program development / fundraising on climate justice / climate change issues in the region
- Experience leading winning proposals on the intersection of climate justice
- Able to drive the development of exciting, creative and inspiring concepts and lead proposal teams with colleagues and partners.
- Understands how to network and gather donor intelligence, manage donor relationships, pitch ideas and represent Hivos to an external audience.
- Knowledge of and relevant partner/donor network on climate justice in the region
- Competent in managing (complex) calls / proposals with consortia across the region, with strong capabilities in process management.
- Experienced proposal writer, with proven track record in preparing high quality winning proposals from several different donors, with value of at least 1 million EUR.
- Strong knowledge of donor proposal requirements (formats, methodologies, results framework, budgeting, and theories of change).
- Previous experience implementing similar programs is an advantage
- Enterprising dynamic personality and outstanding team player. Easy to work with, excellent networking and communications skills to achieve the best possible results.
- Level skills: cooperation, influence, leadership.
- Job skills: strongly proactive and dynamic, strategic thinking, relationship management, team player
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills in English including to facilitate/lead proposal development workshops, and write strong concept notes and proposals.
- Willing to travel
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract based on Hivos local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance.
How to apply
Want to apply?
You are welcome to submit your application on the apply button by 16 June 2023. You must submit both a letter of motivation/cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and resume/CV (maximum 3 pages) in English.
Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record of business development results in their CV and to use their cover letter to clearly and concisely address the requirements of the role elaborated above.
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Please note this role is being re-advertised. We ask for candidates who have already applied unsuccessfully to please refrain from re-applying.
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.