Chemonics International seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Empower West Africa Activity (EWAA). The purpose of the activity, under the Power Africa initiative, is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in West Africa in order to reach measurable economic growth, development outcomes such as reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation and food security. The potential objectives of the Activity are to:
- End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards.
- Increase the supply of electricity in Western African countries through clean energy solutions.
- Remove constraints to investment in Western Africa energy sectors and to increase innovation.
The Chief of Party (COP) will supervise all programmatic activities and have overall responsibility for the successful performance of the team. The COP shall provide strategic leadership and bear primary responsibility for all requirements of the contract, ensuring that the key performance indicators, objectives, and deliverables are met. He/She will be responsible for ensuring compliance with USAID regulations, the contract, and Chemonics policies. The COP will be the official representative of the contractor and lead liaising with USAID and government officials, and forging alliances with a myriad of private sector entities, organizations, and stakeholders and as well as managing multiple offices. This position will be based in West Africa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Providing overall vision, management, and strategic leadership to the Activity.
- Identifying adjustments in scope and operations to ensure that the project adapts to changes in need and context.
- Supervising and empowering personnel.
- Establishing effective partnerships with other U.S. government agencies, African partners, development partners, non-governmental organizations, and a wide variety of other stakeholders.
- Effectively communicating in large public settings, as well as with senior government officials.
- Ensuring that managerial, administrative, and financial procedures comply with USAID policies and procedures.
- Supervise the technical leads, operations/grants managers, subcontractors, and short-term personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum ten (10) years of management experience implementing energy programs on-and beyond-the-grid. West Africa work experience is preferred.
- Oral and written proficiency in French required.
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships.
- Proven ability to form collaborative relationships with intergovernmental, government representatives and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead a dynamic team of professionals across large geographies.
- Prior experience effectively managing large, complex activities in the energy sector and achieving performance objectives.
- Prior experience leading USAID/Power Africa programs strongly preferred.
- Regional experience in Western Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo).
How to apply
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by April 21, 2023. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
COVID-19 Recruitment Information:
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- UN·E COORDINATEUR·RICE TERRAIN at Action Contre la Faim France
- Technical Advisor Health and Nutrition Specialist – 3ème publication at Save the Children
- Peace and Conflict Advisor – Technical Support Unit (TSU): Abuja, Nigeria at Mercy Corps
- Program Quality Specialist – Abuja, Nigeria at Mercy Corps
- Technical Leads at Chemonics