Position: Chief of Party
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a presidential legacy that has enjoyed bipartisan support for over a decade. YALI approaches youth leadership development across Africa with a growth mindset focused on enhancing the skills of young Africans who are best placed to tackle the challenges facing their communities and the continent. The Young African Leaders Initiative Legacy Localization Activity will enable the development of a pan-Sub Saharan African youth leadership development organization that supports the continued and expanded advancement of youth leadership training across the continent and the furthering of alumni opportunities, simultaneously advancing USAID priorities on inclusive and locally led development. The Young African Leaders Initiative Legacy Localization Activity is a transition award. The recipient will develop the capacity of local subrecipients to receive USAID direct awards. The activity will provide an effective and efficient way to provide sub awards to local organizations and YALI alumni, and to rapidly respond to emerging challenges and opportunities in development and good governance while centering African youth and women-led organizations. The YALI Legacy Localization Activity Cooperative Agreement will develop the capacity of local organization subrecipients, including but not limited to YALI Africa, to be eligible to receive a transition award from USAID or other donors in the future.
The Chief of Party (COP) must provide overall strategic and administrative leadership and expertise for this activity and will serve as the primary authority for all decision making related to this activity. The COP must take a leadership role in coordination and communication among USAID and key stakeholders, including the Government, other donors, universities, the private sector, civil society and other relevant implementing partners. The COP must be the primary liaison with USAID on management
and technical matters. The COP will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the activity and has the overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided is technically sound, justifiable and measurable against activity objectives and targets. The COP will supervise activityvimplementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements. USAID expects that the COP will be dedicated to the award on a full-time basis.
The Chief of Party’s specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following activities:
- Provide strategic and organizational leadership to co -create and implement a core set of activities to be scaled up and sustained in conjunction with USAID, YALI Africa, YALI Regional Leadership Centers, their respective host institutions, alumni, and other relevant stakeholders. Strengthen and expand existing capacities at the organizational and staff levels towards one Pan Sub-Saharan African YALI Africa entity capable of sustaining youth leadership training programming across the continent.
- Oversee the operational and technical compliance of the project including, the coordination of program activities among a diverse group of stakeholders and beneficiaries including the Ministries, civil society, universities, training centers and other partners and stakeholders.
- Provide principal leadership and guidance across all technical and functional areas including technical implementation, monitoring and evaluation, finance, operations, reporting, communications, and human resources.
- Create and maintain relationships with the YALI Regional Leadership Centers, universities, government officials, other donors and implementers, civil society and private sector partners, program beneficiaries, and others. Serve as the primary liaison amongst the consortia.
- Oversight of operational, financial and administrative compliance of the project aligned with standard organizational operating procedures to ensure continuity and best practices to project outcomes and regulations are successfully achieved.
- Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
- Create and implement a private sector engagement strategy.
- Manage technical and operations personnel, as well as subcontractors and grantees in the implementation of the project to improve training and employment opportunities and outcome
The candidate for the position of Chief of Party shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree preferred in public administration, international development, education
management or a field relevant to this activity.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of international development experience managing projects directly related to education and youth leadership development, organizational and network capacity development with relevant management, supervisory and technical experience working with programs of a similar scope to this activity.
- Out of which, minimum of 7 years of experience in a senior management or leadership role, i.e. Project Director, Chief of Party.
- Ability to advise and convene host country contacts at the ministerial level and create and maintain effective working relations with international and local stakeholders.
- Technical expertise in youth; leadership development, leadership training and professional development, network development, alumni engagement, and diverse partner engagement.
- Demonstrated success in supporting the youth population/leaders in economic growth
- Instilled coaching and mentoring techniques to leaders to encourage partnerships across the community and training centers as well as build the capacities of those in the program leadership team.
- Expertise in management, communication, inclusivity and organizational skills.
- Proven track record and experience in stakeholder engagement, project design, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation of education and alliances.
- Excellent understanding of the local context; and
- Excellent communication skills and writing ability in English
Fluency in English
How to apply