Position: Chief of Party (COP)
Chemonics seeks a Chief of Party for the USAID Ethiopia Urban WASH Activity. The purpose of this activity is to support accelerated access to safe, adequate, inclusive, and resilient WASH services targeting urban and peri-urban areas. This will be achieved through four complementary objectives: 1) Enable and professionalize WASH service providers; 2) Foster Markets for Pro-Poor and Inclusive WASH Services; 3) Strengthen WASH planning, budgeting, and service delivery oversight; and 4) Strengthen accountability among urban WASH sector actors. The chief of party will supervise all activities and have overall responsibility for the successful performance of the technical assistance team under the Ethiopia Urban WASH Activity. The chief of party will provide strategic leadership and bear primary responsibility for all technical and administrative requirements of the contract, ensuring that the activity meets all key performance indicators, objectives, and deliverables. They will be responsible for ensuring adherence to USAID regulations and the contract. The chief of party position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Providing overall vision, leadership, management, and technical direction for the activity, ensuring an integrated technical vision and overall technical approach to achieve all expected results for improved WASH performance in the target areas.
- Leading activities related to Objectives 3 and 4 tied to strengthening of WASH planning, budgeting and service delivery insight, and strengthening accountability among urban WASH sector actors.
- Designing and executing program activities to ensure high-quality technical assistance standards and support to activity stakeholders.
- Supervising and mentoring technical and operations staff, subcontractors, and consultants to achieve expected results.
- Serving as primary liaison to and building effective relationships with USAID, service providers, local counterparts, and key stakeholders; maintaining productive relationships to ensure effective collaboration, coordination, and engagement Leading and overseeing activity administrative management, including work planning, compliance, reporting, and financial operations.
- Ensuring compliance with USAID, U.S., and Ethiopian laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in engineering, water resources management, international development, public administration, hydrology, business, or field related to the overall activity scope (or an equivalent combination of education and work experience in a related field)
- Minimum of 10 years of management experience with WASH programs, with demonstrated experience in WASH infrastructure, market development, sector governance, service delivery strengthening, regulation, or fields related to the activity scope.
- Proven record of building teams and fostering collaboration with diverse stakeholders to achieve project goals, meet project milestones, and produce quality project results.
- Prior applied experience analyzing, tracking, and working with complex systems, including working effectively with a range of stakeholders, such as national and local government officials, international donor organizations, civil society, media, and the private sector.
- Demonstrated experience in successful delivery of complex donor-supported projects, including expertise in management, monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, staff supervision, and contracts and budget oversight.
- Experience overseeing USAID and/or donor grants and subcontracts management strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to build, foster, and lead teams, including the ability to mentor and build capacity of local staff.
- Fluency in English required.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit an application here no later than May 26, 2023. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as we will interview and fill the position on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Technical Experts for the Kenya Feed the Future (FtF) Private Sector Activity at Chemonics
- Consultancy For Endline Evaluation of the Drought Emergency Response for Food and Nutrition Security (DERF) project in Marsabit, Turkana and Samburu
- Communications Coordinator at ADD International
- Stage Sensibilité aux Conflits, Mali at Interpeace