Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
TechnoServe is implementing the USAID-funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) regional program in collaboration with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS). The program leverages the power of the private sector to create better nutritional outcomes for base-of-the-pyramid consumers and more profitable market opportunities for local farmers. This is achieved by supporting local food processing companies in Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia through remote technical assistance and training from world leading food processing companies under PFS to increase the availability of safe, affordable and nutritious food.
Program Director of AINFP, overseeing implementation and program delivery, managing staff and budget, stakeholder management. Responsible for ensuring the program meets its goals and objectives while compliant with both TechnoServe and USAID rules and regulations.
Reporting to Regional Director East Africa
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead overall program strategy in collaboration with partners to improve competitiveness of the local food processing sector to produce safe and nutritious food, increased smallholder market access, availability of nutritious foods to low income consumers.
- Set annual targets, develop and execute to annual work plans and budget, implement M&E plan, lead course correction if needed.
- Lead technical, programmatic, financial, and management guidance and support for all activities.
- Ensure that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met in accordance with approved work-plans and budgets.
- Manage project troubleshooting, ensuring timely and effective response to issues raised.
- Ensure cost-effective delivery of results.
- Support team to develop effective monitoring and evaluation plans, disseminate results and learning and produce quality reports
- Manage and coordinate program staff consisting of technical, financial and administrative program professionals to deliver results and ensure responsive and efficient project operations.
- Supervise, mentor and develop staff, consultants and managers to ensure program delivery, staff performance and retention.
- Direct line and performance management of M&E Manager, Capacity Development Lead, Administration & Compliance Coordinator, Country Program Managers (either the Senior Food Processing Advisor or Market Linkages Manager in each country).
- In liaison with the Finance Department, management of finance and budgetary support.
- Ensure project finances, management practices, operational and reporting requirements are in compliance with TechnoServe and USAID contractual rules and regulations.
- Support staff in understanding and implementation of TechnoServe and USAID systems and regulations.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial and narrative reporting to USAID.
- Primary contact and liaison with PFS, USAID, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effective outreach, collaboration and lesson sharing with private sector and public institutions.
- Lead program networking to ensure effective coordination with other food processing programs.
- Liaise with Senior Adviser Food Processing & Nutrition on coordination with other food processing programs, lessons, best practices and alignment with broader PFS partnership.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 12 years of experience or a Master’s degree with at least 8 years of experience, with a background in agricultural economics, international development, business, economics, public policy, or other relevant areas.
- At least 8 years of experience on USAID projects
- Prior Chief of Party/Program Lead experience, with a minimum of 3 years of experience managing large international donor programs.
- Private sector experience preferred
- Experience working in East Africa Region
- Experience implementing USAID-funded programs and knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures.
- Build win-win partnerships between multiple food system sector stakeholders, including agribusinesses, food processors, public sector, financial institutions, technology providers, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate a high-level strategy to internal and external stakeholders, while driving execution of a work plan and achievement of short-term milestones.
- Demonstrated ability to use adaptive management principles to make strategic, data-driven decisions in the face of uncertainty and complexity.
- Results-oriented, with demonstrated experience achieving project targets.
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required
Travel: Up to 40% international travel is expected
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated experience in managing complex, multi-disciplinary, and challenging field operations in developing countries, in Eastern Africa preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and ability to effectively motivate and manage teams in a multicultural environment.
- Strong private sector market orientation, entrepreneurial and innovative thinker.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, consensus building and coordination of diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks and activities.
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports.
Supervisory Responsibilities : Supervises eight direct reports
Successful Candidate will be contingent on donor approval.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515.