Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
Working Closely With
Adeso US and Kenya Board of Directors; Executive Director; Adeso team; partners and donors
Global/Virtual (Needs to be based within 3 hours (+or-) of EAT Time zone)
Adeso is vibrant African based development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy. For the past 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia along with global programs to decolonize and transform the humanitarian and development aid architecture. If you are passionate about the movement to decolonize the aid system and want to be part of a dynamic organization continuously pushing boundaries and providing thought leadership in the space, Adeso is the right place for you.
The Chief of Staff will work with the Executive Director to ensure operational efficiency and strategic focus in the undertaking of Adeso’s work. Using leadership and problem-solving skills, the Chief of Staff will assist with the daily operation of Adeso.
The Chief of Staff will work directly with the Executive Director and build strong relationships with team members and partners across the network in order to influence outcomes and maintain momentum. The Chief of Staff will serve as an analyst and program manager, in order to help the Executive Director, make and execute great decisions for Adeso.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct Support of the Executive Director
- Identify areas where the Executive Director should direct focus in order to fulfill Adeso’s strategic priorities.
- Strategically manage Executive Director’s time: Working with the executive assistant, the Chief of Staff looks at leaders’ external opportunities, including long-term travel and meeting plans, and assess their fit against priorities.
- Prepare for and follow up on meetings.
- Assist in managing internal and external communications.
- Proactively follow up with the Executive Director’s direct reports and other team members to ensure that tasks delegated from the Executive Director are completed and that organizations goals are on track. When goals are not on track, provide actionable recommendations for improvement.
- Act as an extension of the Executive Director and funnel appropriate information across the leadership team by exercising both exceptional relationship building skills as well as excellent discretion and judgement.
- Support the Executive Director with the development of board materials and donor communications and work closely with the Executive Director on fundraising, from strategy to relationship building, due diligence and closing.
Meeting and event preparation
- Coordinate quarterly Board meetings, agendas, and minute-taking. Follow-up on action items.
- Manage the meeting and annual work plan of Board Committees; assist the Committees to deliver their annual objectives.
Program management and development
- Oversee cross-functional, organization-wide projects or initiatives; bring together stakeholders and help drive decisions.
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline operations, putting them in place and ensuring departmental uptake in use of them.
- Assist with strategic fundraising initiatives, proposal development, and tracking of program development opportunities (including metrics of success).
Strategic planning and alignment
- Participate in strategic planning processes for Adeso. Analyze progress against the strategic plan and make recommendations for advancing Adeso’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Help determine goals, objectives, and key performance indicators for the strategy and staff land develop/update dashboards as needed.
Compliance and legal
- Prepare, review, and negotiate grant contracts, sub-awards, Memorandums of Understanding, Service Agreements, and other Contracts or Agreements that Adeso or its subsidiaries may be entering into. Flag areas of risk and make recommendations to the Executive Director on legal matters if needed in consultation with legal counsel.
- Oversee general compliance with Adeso contracts and agreements, including the maintenance of Adeso’s grants tracker. Support any contract modifications.
Hiring and management
- Manage hiring process for key roles in the organization. Draft and post job descriptions, outline interview processes, screen candidates, prepare offers and contracts, and induct news staff and consultants, in compliance with Adeso HR policies and procedures.
- Support healthy staffing across Executive Director’s portfolios, by:
(i) directly offering flexible support on high priority projects,
(ii) assigning available flexible resources,
(iii) Supporting / driving key hiring and succession planning initiatives.
- Support the Executive Director in overseeing the Finance Coordinator and Admin/HR Coordinator. Streamline financial, human resources, and administrative processes, ensuring operational effectiveness and efficiency in cooperation with the Program and Operations Director.
- 5-7+ years of experience in a role focused on problem-solving (eg field management, programs, consulting, analytics), team management, and/or new business development
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management, influencing without authority and an ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
- Strong logical structuring and analytical skills, be able to see patterns, be a fast thinker and a good decision maker
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking)
- Excellent organizational skills, with keen attention to detail and ability to follow up systematically on a broad set of initiatives and decisions
- Enthusiasm for fast-paced environments, and comfort with ambiguity (At least one work experience that required highly independent work in an exceedingly challenging environment)
- Capability to influence outcomes.
- Alignment with Adeso Values
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 14th March 2022.
Each application should be addressed to HR and include the following:
· An updated CV with contact details: email address and phone number and
· An application letter which should include cover letter and remuneration requirements..
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.