Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection in Emergency Specialist
Job ID: 210005V8
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
Team / Programme: Child Protection
Contract Length: Fixed Term
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- This role will manage Child Protection aspect of the BPRM project within the Save the Children country program.
- With the support of the Project manager, the Child Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the Child Protection activities, including supporting the coordination of effective and efficient planning, implementation and monitoring of the project at field level.
- S/he will be responsible for supporting designing and following-up with the technical aspects of the project implementation, strengthening the referral system as well as providing capacity building, and technical expertise.
- The Child Protection Coordinator is the key member of the Child Protection team, expected to possess proven project delivery capacity, effective team management, partner management and integration of CP programming in Education.
- S/he must have a strong background and knowledge on child rights, child protection, and CP system strengthening.
- The post holder will assure quality of programming, adequate coordination and communication on CP activities as well as he/she will ensure that SCI support meet the inter-agency guidelines for referrals and the minimum standards for child protection and Gender Based Violence in humanitarian actions.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Project Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: CPiE Officers
Similar Vacancies, Ngo jobs in Africa now
Confederation of African Football (CAF) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Administrative Assistant at the U.S. Consulate General
Medecins du Monde (MdM) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Plan International Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Population Services International (PSI) Job Recruitment (7 Positions)
Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV) Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
Key Areas of Accountability:
- In close collaboration with the Project Manager, manage project field activities, ensuring project objectives are being achieved and ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of our field work.
- Working closely with the Project Manager, ensure that the project implementation strategy is clearly understood by the implementing teams, and ensure that project plans and strategies are adhered to during implementation,
- Lead CP project planning, including development of work plans (Annual and Monthly) with the project team
- Ensure quality and timely documentation of field activities and support project reporting on progress as per SC and donor required quality standards.
- Provide technical support, capacity building and on the job supervision to build the capacity of the respective Save the Children’s field staff and partner staff to effectively deliver the project including;
- Facilitate CP team to directly identify and register separated and unaccompanied children; work with the field team and Country office team to ensure accurate and timely input into the CPIMS for coordination.
- Working with CP field team, conduct community sensitization on CP issues.
- Train key CP team members and resource people within the state and community on CP concerns
- Working closely with Save the Children’s CP team, contribute lessons learnt and best practice experiences from the project inform SC’s strategic planning and the design of future programming strategy and direction, including funding proposals
- Participate in regular meetings with government, local authorities, partners and other stakeholders to draw lessons, share experiences and monitor progress of the project.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with key stakeholders and partners at field level – NGOs, civil society organizations, community groups, UNHCR and others
- Coordinate and liaise with field and national support teams to ensure quality project support in HR, logs, procurement, finance etc
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Digital Communications Officer at ActionAid International
Compliance Director at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
Senior Technical Officer – Prevention, Care & Treatment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
WHE Team Lead at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Coordinator at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Security Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)
Regional Marketing Officer, SSA (Exams and Cultural Engagement) at British Council
Senior Technical Advisor, HIV Prevention at Pathfinder International
Associate Director, Pharmaceutical Care and Supply Chain Management at Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work or relevant field experience.
Experience and Skills:
- At least Nine (9) years post NYSC relevant experience in child protection programming
- Demonstrable commitment to a holistic vision of children’s welfare
- Substantial management experience, preferably in emergencies
- Excellent written and spoken English; local language skills a major advantage
- Demonstrable competence in report writing
- Experience of financial planning and expenditure monitoring as applied to grants management
- Experience of working with communities, and supporting their participation, ownership and empowerment
- Strong representational and communication skills sensitive to the cultural and military/political environment
- The ability to plan and ensure the implementation of projects, and to oversee the management and report on resources effectively.
- Able to work calmly under pressure in a rapidly changing context
- Proven team management skills
- Adaptability and flexibility; ability and willingness to live in the field
- Competent in Outlook, Word and Excel
- Commitment to upholding Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy, and other Global Policies.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
You might Also Like
Programme Policy Officer (School Feeding) CST-I (Mogadishu & Garowe) at World Food Programme
Deputy Nutrition Cluster Coordinator, Consultant (Level II), Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer AAP (Accountability to Affected Populations) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Joint Resilience Programme Coordinator) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Social Protection) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Food Systems) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Partnership) – NOA at World Food Programme
Communications Officer at Mercy Corps
Subaward & Compliance Officer at Mercy Corps