Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Tree of Life envisions a world without poverty where children can enjoy their rights; grow up in a safe environment, protected from all kinds of violence and abuse, with access to equal opportunities.
The organization has been working in Kenya since 2011, focusing on the sectors of Child Protection, Education and safeguarding of children.
The Tree of Life has been operating in the space of Juvenile Justice, Care Reform, Alternative Family Care, TVET and job inclusion for vulnerable youth, as well as improving education, Wash, nutrition and health services in the ASAL and in the informal settlements of Nairobi.
The Tree of Life is starting up a new program in Kenya in collaboration with several Government Departments, and national and international partners. The project, entitle “RISE”, aims at activating and strengthening formal, inclusive educational services, personal and professional development and sexual and reproductive health pathways to children and youth, both vulnerable and in conflict with the law in Kenya, focusing on the role of Government institutions, educative communities and the private sector. The proposed action is part of a framework of major structural changes in Kenya in the field of Education (reform of the education system), Protection (Care Reform) and the juvenile / child justice system (Restorative Justice, ADR).
Job Title: Communication, Advocacy and Social Media Manager
Supervisor: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Nairobi, with travels in the project’s target areas if required
Starting date: 15th September 2022
Duration of the assignment: 12 months, with 3 months’ probation, renewable
Deadline for application: 9th August 2022
Summary of the role:
The Communication, Advocacy and Social Media Manager will design, manage and implement the Tree of Life communications & Advocacy strategies, and will support the fund raising strategy with the objective of increasing the visibility, the fund raising and promoting the work of the organization in the country, as well as increasing awareness for Tree of Life’s mandate and programmes among its partners, the media and the general public.
The candidate will be also responsible for operationalizing the RISE project’s communication and advocacy plan, in compliance with all donor’s guidelines.
He/she will act as the main focal point for communication, advocacy and visibility while in charge of the management, animation, dissemination and development of communication tools, information supports and external and internal visibility operations of the organization.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and the delivering of a coherent communication strategy for the Tree of Life in Kenya, with consistent work plans, ensuring internal / external alignment.
- Be the leader in the development of Tree of Life advocacy strategy and its implementation, in collaboration with Country Representative and Program coordinator.
- Support the drafting and the dissemination of position papers for advocacy and share them out with key stakeholders for feedback and come up with Final papers.
- Monitor the progress of the advocacy efforts through follow-ups.
- Support the preparation of communications and advocacy budgets.
- Support the development and the implementation of Fund Raising campaigns in Kenya, in line with the organization’s priorities and objectives, increasing local resource mobilization efforts.
- Develop and implement campaigns, events, workshops, webinars, and other initiatives within the Tree of Life programs, ensuring alignment with the communications and fund raising priorities of the organization.
- Review, consolidate and implement the communication, visibility and advocacy component of the RISE project, as per project and budget approved, in synergy with the communication office of Tree of Life Headquarters.
- Manage the Tree of Life social media channels in Kenya (Fb, Twitter, Linkedin, etc.), as well as the website, updating the editorial content of Tree of Life, ensuring regular and timely updates and information sharing about the work of Tree of Life, scheduling social media posts on all platforms at different times of the day/week.
- Ensure an increase in exposure and followers on social media; monitor and report content performance, engagement, and community growth to guide future targeting and planning.
- Design, develop and edit communication media (newsletter, updates, posts, etc.), preparing high-quality online and published materials to convey clear and effective messaging.
- Collect visibility and information materials, strengthening and ensuring proper visibility of the organization and the RISE project in Kenya, through various activities and channels.
- Create and schedule content for communication supports online and offline: document results and best practices including compiling impact stories, lessons learned, articles, key messages, interviews, blogs, developing presentations and other communication materials, to increase the visibility of Tree of Life projects and their results, disseminating communication products as per communication strategy.
- Structure and monitor editorial and communication processes and procedures: follow-up of monitoring communication tools, field-to-head office in Nairobi, templates to collect information from the field staff, etc.
- Ensure that all developed materials maintain a high degree of consistency, accuracy, and relevance.
- Maintain a communications and marketing assets library, including photos, videos, case studies, and social media graphics and visibility materials of Tree of Life operations.
- Support program teams for project visibility and donors’ visibility, ensuring compliance with all donors’ visibility guidelines.
- Review and improve deliverables developed in the framework of the Tree of Life ongoing programs, such as manuals, guidelines, SOPs, Concept Notes, etc.
- Contribute to the development of programs-related documents, such as Fact sheets, Capability statements, Presentations-Ppt, Concept Notes, etc.
- Explore and support methods to enhance linkages to media by developing relations with experts, journalists, spokespersons and editors, influencers etc. increasing the visibility of Tree of Life organizing media profiles/interviews and starting up new partnerships.
- Enhance stakeholders’ understanding on Tree of Life operations through dissemination of relevant communication and media related information at national, regional, and international level, monitoring news outlets to explore opportunities to introduce the work and mandate of Tree of Life.
- Influence key stakeholders, media, policy makers, NGOs, and governments about Tree of Life programmes and views, through identified media outlets, social media platforms, website.
- Any other duty as required by the supervisor in line with the post and relevant to the achievement of the Tree of Life objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor degree in Communication, Marketing, international relations, international development or related discipline from a reputable international or Kenya institution.
A Master degree in Fund raising (or equivalent) is an asset.
- Ability to leverage proper marketing across key social media and communication platforms.
- Strong writer and analytical reader, especially for deliverables to be developed for external stakeholders (e.g. donors & partners).
- Communication, presentation, networking, and advocacy skills.
- Ability to write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases and any other marketing material that communicates the organisation’s activities, products and services.
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions and follow-up effectively on the management decisions.
- Good planning skills, pro-activity, creativity, and ability to meet the established deadlines.
- Ability to build key relationships with internal and external stakeholders, contractors and consultants.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian and development context in Kenya and East Africa
- Computer skills (Microsoft office word, excel, etc.).
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to summarise complex information in clear, non-specialist language.
- Confident in managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work quickly and flexibly in changing circumstances.
- Background knowledge on development issues and /or areas related to Child Protection and Education will be a strong asset.
- Motivated by our vision of creating a world where everyone is an educator, and where Children are the key actors of human and social development, being a faithful reflection of the past, present and future of the growth process.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn – open to learning new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- Minimum 3 years experience in media & communications work and advocacy, marketing or fund raising sector, resource mobilization, external relations, carrying out similar tasks.
- Experience with design & implementation of Advocacy and Communications strategies and understanding of trends in the development sector.
- Proven track record of managing media platforms, producing media content, using digital marketing methods, with a view to building and maintaining online engagement.
- Proven experience in planning and organizing events and activities.
- Photo & Video production and editing skills and experience; good knowledge of visual design and layout development for information materials.
- Experience of working with diverse teams, as well as ability to work with partners using effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Employees must sign a child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission from a supervisor.
Respect – the Tree of Life aims to always show respect and appreciation for team members, Partners and all.
Contract and working hours
Salary, type of contract and work schedule can be discussed and agreed upon depending on the profile, the experience and the arrangement with the successful candidate (employment, consultancy, part time, etc
How to apply
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (stating current salary and expected salary, and how your profile fits the position and the skills required). Applications without expected salary will not be considered.
- CV having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CC: email@example.com with the subject indicating: Communication, Advocacy and Social Media Manager
Deadline for application is 9th August 2022
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.
The Tree of Life is an equal opportunity employer, and respect all gender, nationality or religious affiliations.
- National Project Officer (MPA/AVRR) – NOA at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Reintegration and Mentorship Manager at Fondazione L’Albero della Vita
- Child Protection Specialist (Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism-MRM) at United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Kenya: Regional Program Accountant, Francophone Africa at Internews Network