Communication and Media Intern
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Position Title: Communication and Media Intern
Position grade: Non-Remunerated but monthly subsistence allowance will be paid
for transportation and living expenses
Duty Station: IOM Regional Office based in Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: Internship, six months with possibility of extension
Deadline for application: 14 May 2023
The Internship Programme targets young, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities in migration-related areas, support/administrative functions and/or different thematic areas.
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the regional Director (RD) for Southern Africa in Pretoria, South Africa, and direct supervision of the Media and Communication Officer (MCO); and in collaboration with relevant units in the regional office, the Media and Communication Intern will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the regional communication and visibility campaigns to country offices (COs) and the regional office activities.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Communication Intern will support the Communication Team in the Migration Issues Department by assisting with the development and implementation of communication strategies and activities that promote the work of the agency and its partners in addressing migration issues. The intern will also support the team in developing and disseminating key messages and information to various audiences through multiple communication channels.
- Assist in the development and implementation of communication strategies and plans to promote the work of IOM and its partners in addressing migration issues.
- Support the development and dissemination of key messages and information to various audiences through multiple communication channels, including social media, websites, and newsletters.
- Assist in the organization of events and campaigns related to migration issues, including press conferences, workshops, and awareness-raising activities.
- Support the development of communication materials, including press releases, fact sheets, media library, and other publications.
- Conduct research and analysis on migration issues and related topics to support the development of communication materials and strategies.
- Monitor media coverage of migration issues, IOM’s visibility in media, and provide regular updates to the communication team.
- Provide general administrative support to the communication team as needed.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Currently enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program in the field of communication, public relations, journalism, or related fields.
- Bachelors degree in communication, public relations, journalism, or related field with zero working experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, with the ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and tools, and experience in managing social media accounts.
- Knowledge of migration issues and related topics, with a demonstrated interest in humanitarian work.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant software, such as Adobe InDesign/Photoshop, Publisher, and Final Cut Pro.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a positive and proactive attitude.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of French and Portuguese is a plus.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
VALUES – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioural indicators – Choose a level.
Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
- have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
- Be enrolled in the final year of Bachelors Degree or equivalent, or higher OR
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. South African nationals as well as foreign nationals with valid residence and work/study permit to work as interns in South Africa are eligible to apply.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
How to apply
You can apply for this internship on IOM Regional Office South Africa website or through this link https://career2.successfactors.eu/career?company=i