TITLE: Communication and Media Officer
BASED IN: Geneva or remote (with ability to travel to Geneva)
FULL/PART-TIME: Half-time (50%), fixed-term contract
REPORTS TO: Head of SNC Geneva Office, Deputy Head of SNC Geneva Office
The SNC Geneva Office is furthering the cause of the Syrian Negotiation Commission (SNC) by representing and supporting the SNC and its mandate by expanding and facilitating outreach to Syrians and international actors. The SNC Geneva Office is focusing on a political negotiated end to the conflict benefitting the Syrian people through dialogue, peaceful means, and democracy in line with UNSCR 2254.
The SNC Geneva Office works in partnership with a number of organisations including Peaceful Change initiative.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The SNC Geneva Office is looking for a Media and Communications Officer to support and strengthen its work and profile. The Media and Communications Officer is expected to support on the development of a communication and media strategy, day-to-day support on media and communication initiatives raising the profile of SNC and its office in Geneva as well as to share the key messages in support of SNC’s work and mandate. The Media and Communications Officer should be motivated by furthering the cause of the SNC supporting its vision on a political negotiated end to the conflict benefitting the Syrian people through dialogue, peaceful means, and democracy in line with UNSCR 2254.
· Support the development of a communication strategy for SNC.
· Lead on delivering the communication strategy in line with SNC strategy.
· Ensure alignment with SNC communication strategy.
Management of SNC Geneva and SNC Communication Channels (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter)
· Manage the SNC Geneva Office and SNC core team social media channels (YouTube, Facebook and Twitter) by ensuring regular updates and communication sharing information on the work of SNC and its office in Geneva.
· Ensure timely update of social media channels during SNC Geneva Office facilitated events.
· Responsible for ensuring an increase in exposure and followers on social media.
Media Management and Communication Initiatives
· Support the SNC on communication initiatives to both Syrian and international actors.
· Explore and support methods to enhance linkages to media by developing relations with experts, journalists, spokespersons and editors.
· Monitor news outlet to explore areas of synergies and to introduce the work and mandate of SNC and SNC Geneva Office.
· Facilitate and otherwise provide support to the SNC leadership’s media engagements, including through relationship building with international and Arab media
· Support on the development of case studies, communications around public relations events, and any additional communications products related to the implementation of SNC Geneva Office work.
· Preparation of high-quality online and published materials that capture analysis of SNC supported initiatives.
· Support on other tasks as defined by SNC.
· Support SNC Geneva Office on other tasks whenever needed.
Knowledge & Experience
- University degree in Communications or related discipline: Desired
- 3-5 year experience in Media and Communications work: Essential
- Proven experience in working in an NGO, UN or diplomatic mission: Desired
- Proven experience in media and communication incl. social media: Essential
- Proven experience in planning and organising events and activities: Essential
- Proven experience of working as part of small teams and ability to manage own time: Essential
- Experience of working with diverse teams: Essential
- Experience of working in challenging and high-pressure environments: Essential
- Knowledge of the political context in the Middle East: Essential
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent written and verbal English: Essential
- Excellent analytical and writing skills: Essential
- Excellent written and verbal Arabic: Essential
- Excellent written and verbal French: Desirable
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with a broad range of people from different cultural backgrounds: Essential
- Excellent attention to detail, a can-do attitude, and the ability to be result-focused: Essential
- Self-starting, adaptable, and resilient personality: Essential
- Ability to communicate with colleagues with full confidence and non-disclosure: Essential
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word and PhotoShop: Essential
- Willingness and flexibility to work outside regular hours particularly during events and high-level meetings: Essential
- The right to travel to Switzerland: Essential
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV, accompanied by a covering letter (no more than two sides of A4), describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is Monday 16 May 2022, but we will begin screening applications immediately and may contact candidates of interest earlier than the closing date. We regret that we are unable to notify applicants that they have not been shortlisted.