Job Title: Communication, Learning and Media Officer
Location: Based in Abuja, FCT, Nigeria. Regular travel to Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa States is necessary. Travel to other parts of Nigeria and internationally may be required.
Reporting to: Project Manager
Responsible for: Communicating and liaising closely with United Purpose (UP) and SHF stakeholders on Communication, Learning and Media as necessary/ appropriate at the Federal, State and LGA level
United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities. In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities to implement projects funded by international donors. Addressing areas of gender inequalities and rights abuses, improving sanitation and access to water, fostering accountability, preserving vital ecosystems, and developing sustainable development livelihoods.
In Nigeria, we partner with Federal, State and Local Governments, other civil society organisations, and communities to implement development interventions reaching thousands of rural people each year. Several funding partners currently fund the Nigeria Country Programme, including the Sanitation and Hygiene Fund (SHF – former WSSCC), the Unicef, the Welsh Government, etc.
United Purpose has been nominated SHF Primary Recipient in Nigeria for a three-year programme focused on the sanitation market in 3 states: Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa. United Purpose is the consortium’s lead, which regroups three other organisations.
The Officer is to support the programme team and provides technical assistance in overall LGA, and non-state partner staff implementation on Communication, Learning and Media and would work closely with the UP HQ Team in Abuja.
The project will take a market-based approach to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services, developing product solutions and approaches that are evidence-based and effective, to be demonstrated for scaling. It will work in ODF, and OD Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Bauchi, Jigawa and Ogun states, developing and demonstrating context-specific approaches. It will incorporate global expertise on MBS and build the capacity of local NGOs. The program will define how MBS can effectively be combined with CLTS to move households directly from OD to durable, at least basic levels of service and test how OD communities can be raised on the sanitation ladder by MBS, reducing common risks of ODF slippage.
United Purpose (UP) is seeking a full-time Communication, Learning and Media Officer who will contribute to implementing activities for the project. To be responsible for delivering the media part of the Nigeria programme working with partners to achieve impact and improvement in the lives of people in Nigeria on the issues relating to agriculture, food security, trade and climate change. This position will support the Country in coordinating and delivering resources and processes supporting our programme’s media and communication component.
The post holder will also lead, develop and deliver digital strategies and campaigns on the program. The post holder must be a strong team player and contribute to the Country’s programme teamwork. The role requires the capacity to conduct analysis needed to develop advocacy and media and digital campaign plans, strategies, and tactics. It demands creativity and proficiency in analysing and synthesising information to understand issues, identify options and support the country team in sound decision making.
Moreover, the post holder must support partners to strengthen their capacity for practical advocacy work, train them on advocacy, especially media (new and traditional) and campaigning tools, and brief government officials, private sector actors, journalists, campaigners and others on the campaign issues above.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute immensely towards media, digital and communication as part of advocacy development in all programmes
- Agrees on media and communication as part of advocacy issues and, together with the relevant programme staff, identifies advocacy and communication issues related to United Purpose’s work in Nigeria.
- To support the recording and documenting of best practices in approaches, methodologies and techniques.
- Support Programme Officers in building Networks to carry out advocacy on WASH, Market Access in Nigeria.
- Improve the programme’s effectiveness through systematic learning and the promotion of best practices and innovations in sanitation and hygiene;
- Efficiently and systematically capture, develop, store, retrieve and share knowledge to achieve programme objectives.
- Share documented learnings and practices with partners and programme, and UP staff.
- Design and produce training and educational materials on media and communication for marketing the United Purpose programme, and its WASH campaign
- Develops work plans, individual development plans, and regular reports to the Project Manager
- Support programme partners in media and communications related capacity building and ensure that this is integrated within programmes
- Supports identifying potential new strategic media partners for United Purpose in Nigeria and developing strategies for working with them.
- Have responsibility for the monitoring and supervision of media as part of advocacy-related partner activities and plans in Nigeria by ensuring that these are in line with the United Purpose strategy in Nigeria
- Document and publish United Purpose’s learning in Nigeria by contributing articles briefing notes, media publications and case studies for United Purpose’s campaigns.
- Support United Purpose Nigeria staff and partners in getting relevant messages across to target audiences on significant activities within and outside the organisation.
- Bulletin in United Purpose, our bi-monthly site reps, and other relevant publications.
- Frequently update our United Purpose Nigeria social media outlets (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc.) and ensure we disseminate information about our program weekly.
- Develop and sustain the relationship with the media and the civil society groups in Nigeria to feed into United Purpose’s advocacy work.
- Ensure adequate media coverage for all programme activities, functions and press releases/press statements
- Eager and required to adhere to United Purpose’s principles and values
- Understanding and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- To carry out any other duties assigned by the Senior Management Team.
- A minimum of five (5) years of work experience with at least three (3) years in a similar role is essential.
- A minimum of three (3) years of demonstrable skills and experience in direct and indirect lobbying/ advocacy and campaigning work in this field is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable broad grasp and understanding of policy issues and policy environment in Nigeria regarding WASH and Market Access
- Demonstrable skills and experience in effective media relations
- A demonstrable understanding of NGO media/advocacy work in the context of development
- Experience in capacity building and training skills is highly advantageous
- Demonstrable and proven conceptual solid research, analytical and writing skills
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of gender and diversity issues related to all media work and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the critical areas of responsibility.
- Experience in working with Civil Society/ Media Network partners.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse, and performance-related environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, handle large amounts of data, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and effectively with civil society organisations, donors, project staff, and other beneficiaries.
- At least three years of relevant experience in Gender-related and WASH projects, funded by international donors.
- Experience with rules and regulations for non-profit organisations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in an international and intercultural environment
- Proven track record of capacity building/training
- Solid knowledge and understanding of community-based approaches to development
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in simple language
- Demonstrable ability to work independently, think strategically as well as work within a team
- Creative thinking, developing, designing, or creating new ideas, relationships, systems, or products
- High level interpersonal and diplomatic skills along with awareness of political sensitivities in different settings of Nigeria
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Familiar with the latest trends, tactics and technologies in digital influencing and can link online with offline media.
- Some graphic design skills and the ability to develop simple infographics are desirable.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues and the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Gender, intercultural and interfaith sensitivity.
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition.
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
What we offer
This position offers the opportunity to gain experience with an international NGO whilst receiving mentoring and learning on best practice global WASH approaches and issues. We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and, above all, a respectful and empowering working place.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Another language is a plus.
Terms and Conditions
Salary and Benefits: An attractive package dependent on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Duration of contract: One year with a yearly renewal of contract subject to performance and continued availability of funds.
Send a CV and a cover letter to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail title must be the Name of the role you are applying for and the location (when applicable).
In the cover letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
The deadline for applications is 30th June 2022. You are recommended to apply early, as applications will be assessed as they are received.Only shortlistedcandidates will be contacted.
The expected start date is September 2022 (depending on the donor).
United Purpose is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of Gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation. United Purpose also has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedure
- Job City Abuja