The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) is an international organization that promotes innovative, comprehensive and sustainable migration policies. With 19 Member States and over 60 projects active throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, ICMPD is growing and has a relevant presence in its field. The organization’s greatest assets are its 450+ staff members, who personify its values of commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
Job Title: Communication Specialist – West Africa Region
We are recruiting to fill the position above:
- The ICMPD West Africa office has a growing and diverse portfolio that cuts across several countries in Africa. The head office is in Abuja and operates through its country offices located in, Ghana, Niger, Cote d’Ivoire, Cabo Verde etc. ICMPD’s portfolio within this region covers a wide range of thematic areas, including regular and irregular, border management, trafficking in human beings, migration, migration policy development, migration and civil society, and migration and development, as well as interregional and cross-regional cooperation.
- Through working closely with national institutions, the EU and partner countries, ICMPD provides support for the development of migration management systems within this region through a workforce of over 30 staff.
- Border Management, Migration and Security issues are among the key thematic on which ICMPD has been supporting national and regional authorities in the region. ICMPD’s overall support in these areas will focus on providing capacity-building support to national institutions across the region.
- The assignment will be undertaken at the Regional office Abuja in Nigeria
- Under the oversight of the Head of region, the direct supervision of the Project Managers and in close collaboration with other team members, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing, planning, designing, implementing and carrying out project communication activities.
- S/he will also monitor the progress of all projects communications and its compliance to the West Africa Communication and Visibility Plan (CVP).
- The Communications Specialist plans and organizes communications activities and produces a variety of visibility materials and outputs specified in the Plan, aligned with the approved WA project’s objectives, work plan, available communications budget and in line with partner and donor visibility requirements and communications guidelines.
- S/he is responsible for the timely production of highquality communications outputs within the projects assigned
Functions / Key Results Expected
Communications Information Systems and Database:
- Develop biannual work plans for a digital marketing presence, social media (Twitter, LinkedIn), and web-based activities and a yearly work plan for crosscutting communications activities according to the Plan.
- Design and organize communications support for all ongoing projects, meetings, workshops, and activities with a focus on visual and promotional content;
- Draft and upload content and articles of upcoming meetings, by updating the events sections and photo gallery and by developing the existing structure;
- Provide support to the development of an overall West Africa communications plan;
- Plan, develop and organize communications activities and initiate and implement processes for the production of content (visual, digital, written) by: o Editing texts; o Proof-reading and organizing translation; o Draft script for videos; o Developing infographics, presentations, layouts, and visuals;
- Write press releases, speeches, and talking points as required
- Write and organize background briefings for media.
- Coordinate with various partners and project teams to write and/or edit articles for globally distributed ICMPD news publication(s)
- Review and edit outputs and written content (reports, studies, project reports etc.) as well as online content (newsletters and articles) suitable for all Project’s communication purposes
- Compile and draft inputs on communications activities for internal and external project reviews and reports;
- Identify, develop and draft inputs for new communications concepts, proposals, work plans and budgets;
- In consultation with Head of Region and Project Managers, draft publicity materials including country profile, program/project fact sheets, and “success story” one-pagers.
- Share visibility materials or communications concepts; developing presentations for conferences, workshops meetings, and events, where applicable;
- Draft and/or edit success stories with appropriate photographs
- Coordinate with, and mobilize expertsfor, media, press, and communications outreach during project events, meetings, and outputs. Monitor communications activities and progress;
- Draft content for internal and external news websites, making regular updates and offering recommendations for useful technical and/or informational modifications
- Ensure that communications activities are implemented and outputs generated in an efficient and cost-effective manner in line with the Plan and budget and in accordance with partner and donor visibility requirements and communication guidelines;
- The incumbent will assist in reviewing the daily press for development topics of interest and ICMPD news, prepare press clips and forward to the Head of Region and Project Managers for the latest information on crucial topics.
Events Management & Administrative Tasks:
- Expected to be proactive and offer innovative ideas for the promotion of all ICMPD events in the region
- Ensure that projects do no exceed budget allocations. Contribute to budget revisions and potential savings
- Ensure that administrative processes such as procurement and contracting are carried out promptly, in accordance with ICMPD rules and established business processes and in compliance with donor rules, where applicable;
- Participate in conferences/meetings/seminars relevant to the project’s communications.
Qualifications, Experience and Language Skills
- Master’s Degree related to the area of work.
- A minimum of 3 years of position-relevant work experience in digital marketing management, in an international context.
- Good advocacy skills.
- Experience in working with International Organizations or NGO
- Experience in the use of digital platform tools (SEO).
- Experience with graphic design programs (Canva, InDesign, Illustrator, and Adobe). Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in (verbal/written) English.
- Proficiency in use of standard IT tools.
- Ability to manage websites as well as digital platforms.
- Ability to maintain a social media presence and measurement and report on the performance of digital marketing campaigns.
- Ability to identify content opportunities, produce the relevant materials and disseminate via the most appropriate digital channels.
- Identification of digital trends, evaluate emerging technologies, and use these to disseminate information.
- Ability to successfully build strategic networks and develop partnerships.
- Excellent photo and videography skills will be a plus
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com using the job title as the subject of the mail.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Compliance Assistant at Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) Nigeria
- Consultants – Evaluation of Humanitarian Response at Christian Aid (3 Openings)
- Medical Doctors at Medecins du Monde (MdM) – 2 Openings
- Senior Teleradiology and PACS Systems Administrator at International Organization for Migration
- Finance Assistant – Garowe- at CARE