Habitat for Humanity Kenya (HFH Kenya) is a national non-profit organization that begun its operations in 1982 as an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. The affiliation is guided by a National Affiliation Agreement (NAA) and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). HFH Kenya’s vision is: “A nation where every family has a decent place to live.” Mission: “Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity Kenya brings people together to build homes, communities and hope”. Our overarching goal is: “Enabling low income families access decent and affordable shelter”.
Working under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the National Director, the Communications and Advocacy Officer designs, manages and implements the HFHK’s communications strategy with the objective of increasing the visibility and promoting the work of HFHK in the country, as well as increasing awareness for HFHK’s mandate and programmes among its partners, the media and the general public. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting efforts to enhance the information flow and visibility of HFHK’s programs in the country.
The Communication and Advocacy Officer works in close collaboration with the HFHK’s Senior Management team, Program team, HFHI’s Communications team, Government officials and media representatives.
- Communications strategy-in liaison with HFHI communications team and HFHK Senior Management team coordinate development and implementation of National Organization communications strategy
- Branding and marketing– ensure that all communication products and project deliverables for external audience are appropriately branded.
- Ensure that all HFHK staff and partners understand and adhere to harmonized HFHK and HFHI branding guidelines
- External and Internal Communications-in collaboration with Senior Management Team (SMT) develop clear and effective guidelines and protocols for internal and external communications
- Targeted Public messaging and media outreach– advise SMT and program staff on public messaging and media outreach. Supporting in drafting officials briefing materials, strategic presentations, talking points, speeches, statements, etc.
- Tithe relations-develop and manage clear communication guidelines that support and nurture effective relations with HFHK tithe partners
- Local strategic partner relations- develop and manage partnership strategy and communication guidelines that support and nurture effective relations with HFHK local partners
- Local resource mobilization-in close collaboration with SMT initiate and pursue local resource mobilization efforts including supporting proposal and concept note development with the overall objective of sustaining the mission.
- Multi-media campaign-develop structured approach and procedures including relations with mainstream media to ensure that HFHK becomes a partner of choice and reclaims it’s mandate in affordable, decent and adequate housing sector in Uganda.
- Reporting- mainstream communication in HFHK’s programs and support effective process documentation and technical monthly/quarterly and annual reporting.
- Habitat Newsletter-in liaison with program team, lead development and dissemination of HFHK newsletters and relevant reports and communications.
- Website and social media-manage active HFHK’s website and social media presence.
- Event coordination- take leadership in coordinating key events ensuring high level professionalism
- Safeguarding-in liaison with SMT, support development, dissemination and embedding of safeguarding strategy, language, procedures in all communication products at national and community level
- Capacity building- provide training to staff and partners on communication
- Advocacy strategy-in liaison with HFHI advocacy team and HFHK Senior Management team coordinate development and implementation of National Organization advocacy strategy
- Local advocacy efforts-in collaboration with Senior Management Team (SMT) develop clear and effective guidelines and protocols for sector-wide advocacy efforts in the country
- Sector representation– in liaison with SMT, represent HFHK relevant Forums.
- Gender and inclusive development-be a focal point person for gender-advocating and championing integration of gender in all HFHK program operations
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES / INDICATORS
- Minimum of Bachelors’ degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field- (Master’s degree will be a plus).
- Training in advocacy and/or behavior change communications will be a strong asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions and follow-up effectively on the management decisions.
- Good knowledge of visual design and layout development for information materials
- Good planning skills, proactivity, creativity, and ability to meet the established deadlines.
- Skills in photography and image processing.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement major information campaigns
- Communication, presentation, networking, and advocacy skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Good research and analytical skills; Strong verbal and written communication skills, fluent in English both in writing and in speech.
- Emotional intelligence: Remains calm in stressful situations
- Ability to travel to program areas on duty frequently.
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in media and communications.
- Experience of working at or with HFHK entity or other international organization is an asset.
- Background knowledge on development issues and /or areas related to the HFH mandate (affordable and inclusive housing will be a strong asset).
- Practical experience in working with media including personal contacts among key media and in organizing media events and press conferences, as well as arranging interviews.
- Experience with design & implementation of Advocacy and Communications strategies and understanding of trends in the development sector,
- Ability to work long and odd hours, including weekends
- High levels of integrity
How to apply
To apply, download the full job description available at https://hfhkenya.org/careers/ and email the application to email@example.com with your name and position applied for in the subject line.
The closing date for receiving applications is no later than close of business on Friday 10th December 2021.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HFH Kenya is an equal opportunities employer and will never ask for funds as part of the recruitment process.
Report fraud at www.mysafeworkplace.com