Position: Communications intern – Hivos Southern Africa
Region: Southern Africa
Office: Harare, Zimbabwe.
Hours: Full time
Application deadline: June 9, 2023
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of communications intern in Southern Africa.
Reporting to the communications officer, the intern will be responsible for supporting communications development for Hivos’ Southern Africa Hub. They will be in charge of social media, website updates/content, and newsletter content.
The intern will additionally be responsible for storyboarding and developing content, as well as engaging and creating content for social media and supporting project awareness campaigns. They will also help to write and edit blogs as directed by the communications focal point and provide general project support as well as coordination of internal and external communication.
Duties and responsibilities
- Co-generate knowledge and marketing products, such as fact sheets about projects/programs, website content, brochures, blogs, and other forms of communication.
- Help organize, produce and maintain content for Hivos’ website and other media platforms.
- Help plan events for publication launches, public discussions, and other announcements.
- Collaborate with the program teams in providing general communications and administrative support.
- Strengthen brand identity of Hivos by developing communication products that include digital media, reports, publications, flyers, posters, etc.
- Develop dynamic content and manage Hivos’ regional social media platforms. Stimulating deliberative dialogue on e-forums: e-Advocacy. Digital storytelling and photography.
- Co-create marketing and visibility content for Hivos Southern Africa Hub, which includes creating and editing visual content that is compelling enough to be shared by influencers.
- Promote and publicize the organization on internal and external platforms.
- Help organize events related to corporate communications strategies and programs.
- Support staff to engage in activities and initiatives related to the corporate branding and communications strategies.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Degree or diploma in Communications, Journalism, Media Studies, Graphic Design, Marketing and other relevant qualifications
- At least 1-year work related learning experience in Communications or Journalism
- Possess excellent writing, graphic and visualization skills
- Have multimedia skills in audio and video editing
- Strong communications skills: excellent listening skills and empathy, ability to write clearly and concisely
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and other related software (Adobe Suite)
- Demonstrable experience in media communications including social media
- Prior experience in the social development sector including non-government organizations, government development agencies, either via assignments or other internships, is an asset
- Ability to adapt to new environments and to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of different cultural backgrounds
- Integrity: exercising the appropriate discretion when working with confidential and sensitive matters and information
- Ability to work under pressure and put in extra hours
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment. The position will be bases at Hivos’ regional office, based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
How to apply
Please apply before 9 June 2023. If you meet the above-mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), you can apply to this vacancy by filling in a digital application form and adding a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV.
Please note that we will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and reserve the right to close our vacancies early
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.