In recent years, International IDEA’s Africa and West Asia (AWA) programmes’ strategic communications and visibility needs have significantly increased in their scope and volume including digital communication (social media and website), events promotion, publications, and a growing need for a consistent and effective internal communication. There is a need for a full-time Communications Officer to provide communications support to the AWA Regional Office and the various national and subregional programmes in the region.
Working closely with the International IDEA’s Communications Manager based in Stockholm and under the overall direction of the Director, Africa and West Asia Region, the Communications Officer will lead in the implementation of International IDEA’s communication strategy and AWA’s regional communication strategy and plan. Key tasks are to coordinate and provide support to all AWA offices and teams to ensure effective communications and dissemination of knowledge products and popularization and publicity for policy dialogue and other strategic engagements with key stakeholders and partners. Closely monitoring regional trends, events and news, the Communications Officer will lead in writing, editing, and producing analytical key products to ensure effective outreach.
The Communications Officer optimises awareness of International IDEA’s work in Africa, West Asia Region and understanding of its mandate by ensuring communication around its regional activities. He/she is responsible for developing and implementing regional communication strategies to promote International IDEA activities, in line with the global communication vision. He/she oversees the production of regional communication tools aligned with target groups and raising awareness of both public and technical audiences. Further, the Communication Officer will support the internal communication and coordination between the Regional Office in Africa and West Asia Region, and International IDEA Headquarters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Communication Planning and Strategy
- Leads the development and implementation of the communication strategy in the AWA Region in line with International IDEA’s global communication strategy.
- Assesses communication needs in the region and provides communications and visibility support to the regional office, country and sub-regional programmes.
- Leads bi-monthly content and communications strategy planning meetings including editorial meetings and workshops, and identifies opportunities to leverage multi-media, video, and online content.
- Writes and disseminates news briefs, and reports on impact and analytics on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Develops and uses key performance indicators to monitor the implementation of the communication activities across the AWA region.
Media and Public Relations
- Builds a database of local and international media and identifies opportunities for media coverage;
- Prepares press releases, editorials and pitches stories to journalists and responds to requests for media outputs.
- Acts as media spokesperson to identify and support regional teams and programme colleagues in providing interviews to approved journalists, and other media activities;
- Prepares graphics, infographics and other content for improved presentations.
- Supports the preparation of internal weekly news briefs in the region and shares the same with the Regional teams.
Social Media Management
- Uses social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook etc. to create content, maintain the Africa and West Asia brand, and interact with target groups and stakeholders
- Keeps up to date with social media trends and proposes changes to promotional activities.
- Sets key performance indicators (KPIs) for social media campaigns and measures a campaign’s performance against those KPIs
- Works with marketing professionals to develop social media marketing campaigns
External and stakeholder relations
- Contributes to the drafting of proposals, plans and reports focusing on communications and visibility to recognize institutional donors and leverage opportunities for cross-promotion or additional visibility funding.
- Builds relationships with communications representatives of institutional donors to provide materials and develop opportunities related to international days or programme milestones.
- Oversees the development and production of International IDEA branded and co-branded materials in collaboration with relevant colleagues.
- Assists country teams to develop materials and methods for improving internal communication e.g., internal newsletter, programme updates, and encouraging the use of Yammer, Metashare and other platforms used by the institute to disseminate information internally.
Publications and Knowledge Products
- Liaises with the publications team to oversee and enhance the production of knowledge products in the region.
- Edits and ensures effective design and quality control of all knowledge products.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, professional development training and relevant experience including managerial skills.
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle.
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community; Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Is able to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects.
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with International IDEA’s guidelines.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism
- Director, Africa and West Asia Region
Education and Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, international relations, public relations or other related subjects;
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in a similar role, or as a journalist or writer in communications for development, with a focus in social media;
- Experience in developing communication strategies;
- Experience engaging with the media, including identifying opportunities for media coverage; and preparing press releases;
- Knowledge of social media tools, Google Analytics, and content management systems including Drupal.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain social media campaigns;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, is considered an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of any other widely spoken language in the Africa and West Asia region would be considered an asset
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 4,623 NET per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CEST) 14 August 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
How to apply
Click the link to apply
- Study to Identify Needs and Barriers of Women and Youth towards Access and Usage of Housing Finance in Tanzania
- Medical Programs Officer at the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)
- Technical Assistant – Triage Nurse at the Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) – Anambra, Taraba
- Technical Assistant – Prevention, Care & Treatment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) – 3 Openings
- Technical Assistant – Key Population at the Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)