EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Leading Through Learning Global Platform (LTLGP) project has an opening for a part-time Communications Officer. The Communications Officer level of effort (LOE) is 50% time, ideally living in and/or having strong network connections within the Western Africa Region. There is no relocation coverage.
LTLGP is a global education learning system for USAID and its partners to enhance thought leadership and education program quality. Our vision is to elevate the experience of the field by providing avenues for local, regional, and global knowledge generation and sharing. We do this by bringing USAID together with international and local implementing partners, researchers, donors, private sector actors, representatives of other education networks, and partner country government leaders in a system of global learning networks and hubs. These three global Learning Networks, the USAID Education in Crisis and Conflict Network (ECCN), the USAID Global Reading Network (GRN), and a new USAID Higher Education Learning Network (HELN), create opportunities for members to share and address education needs while benefiting from and contributing to a global community of learning. As the Leading Through Learning Global Platform expands, we will regionalize this global learning by convening regional hubs to facilitate further exchanges and activities.
The Communications Officer will provide communications and outreach support to one of LTLGP’s regional hubs. This person will play a critical role in supporting information sharing and promoting visibility of the hub, which aims to engage a broad variety of education stakeholders including USAID and implementing partners in the region. Please note that this position will be remote.
This position reports to the Regional Hub Coordinator, and will be key to the success of the hub in the Western Africa Region, working together with the Regional Hub Coordinator and the Administration Officer. Hubs will additionally be supported by the Learning Network Development Director, and join a wider Network Development team comprising other hub staff and Learning Network Leads.
Essential functions include:
- Lead on the Regional Hub communication strategy towards ensuring a vibrant, diverse, and engaged membership.
- Drafting and translating a variety of communication products, including: website content, newsletters, meeting agendas, emails, LinkedIn posts, Skype or Whatsapp messages,
- Designing and managing the clearance process to ensure products are aligned with donor, project, and Secretariat practices and protocols.
- Collaborate closely with diverse colleagues including: Regional Hub Coordinator to support Regional Hub Coordination Committees, Learning Network Chapters, and coordination with local education groups, clusters, and other regional entities
- Collaborate with other project communication team members of other teams to align communications processes, schedules, content and approvals to best serve the membership.
- Ensure alignment of communication products and events with external global events, observances, media moments, branding guidelines, and clearance protocols.
- Draft copy, copyedit, update, and publish content across available channels including web pages and LinkedIn groups, providing content development support and communicating with authors as needed.
- Provides writing and editorial expertise to design and develop documentation, publications, briefings and presentations. Experienced in both content development and graphical presentation.
- Knowledgeable in applying the principles of visual design to effectively display information.
- Advises on the most effective ways to compliment text with graphical depictions.
- Proficient in software tools and design concepts for the creation of high quality deliverables in support of business initiatives.
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of graphic design or related experience
- Experience working with a variety of technologies, proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel required; Google Workspace; LinkedIn, Sharepoint, Skype, Microsoft Teams, Zoho, Slack, etc.
- 1-2 years of experience publishing professional content via social media
- Demonstrated experience in content development and graphical presentation
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Familiarity with the field of education, preference for literacy, crisis, higher education, systems, equity and inclusion.
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment;
- Professional proficiency (reading, writing, speaking/expressing) in English and French
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Apply here: Communications Officer, Regional Hub – Western Africa Region