The organisation wishes to recruit transformational individual for the following position:
Position: Community Development Officer
Company: Brooke East Africa
Presence: Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East
Sector: Animal Welfare
Brooke is an international animal welfare charity dedicated to improving the lives of working horses, donkeys and mules, operating in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, reaching over two million working horses.
Brook employs over 900 staff worldwide including; vets, animal welfare experts and development specialists.
Brooke works in various ways;
- With animals – Brooke relieves their suffering through treatment and education, and undertake research to improve their welfare.
- With owners – By working with owners Brooke addresses the most common and severe problems to ensure a healthier future.
- With Health Services – Working with local vets and other providers to improve the availability and quality of service of working animals.
- With Governments – Brookes advocates for local, national and international institutions to include the welfare of working equine animals in policy and implementation.
We are proud to be Brooke. We are resourceful, share new ideas and help each other succeed. Together we make change happen.
Our vision is of a world in which working horses, donkeys and mules are free from suffering and have a life worth living.
Our mission is to achieve immediate and lasting positive change to the lives of working horses, donkeys and mules and the communities that depend on them.
We believe all animals deserve dignity, respect, and compassion. We understand the relationship and partnerships between working horses, donkeys and mules and the people that depend on them
We believe a kinder, more compassionate world is possible; a world which truly recognises and values the interdependence between animals, humans, and the environment.
We believe that good animal welfare starts with people. We recognise that in order to achieve change at scale, we need to inspire compassion in others.
- Community Development Officer
Reporting to the Programme Manager, the post-holder will field work within Kenya and other Brooke East Africa operation countries, focused on direct engagement with communities and implementing partners.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assess and identify community capacity gaps, needs and root causes on equine husbandry and management practices and related social-economic needs
- Develop and implement interventions to address the gaps, needs and root causes identified above in a sustainable manner, and using Brooke’s Communities For Animals (C4A) tools
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the interventions, and follow up with relevant adjustments
- Continuously implement follow up actions or adjustments on the basis of information gathered from the evaluation above
- Explore and try innovative capacity building methods, tools and techniques that are suitable and sensitive to distinct community groupings, demographics and contexts for sustainable behaviour change
- Strengthen community-based structures among target equine owning communities that assure sustainable project interventions
- Participate in identification of gaps in and value addition to resource and material requirements related to community engagement
- Participate in all community engagement resource and material development initiatives in order to ensure that there is optimal standardization of learning resources for Brooke East Africa and partners utilization in the community
- Prepare for and deliver content during planned trainings, ensure learningcapacity building road map; matching session plans for each training session; and conduct monitoring visits to follow up on the use of C4A tools
- Actively participate and support planning of Community Engagement meetings and workshops for Brooke East Africa Partners or organized by Brooke UK
- Participate from time to time in value adding meetings or initiatives with Brooke East Africa’s Partners and other like-minded stakeholders in animal welfare and livelihoods sectors
- Receive and provide input to other officers whose jobs are interdependent with this role
- Receive and provide support to other officers whose jobs are interdependent with this role
- Supply reports and other required information and data to other parts of the organization as required
- Actively participate in team and or staff meeting; adding value to the meeting agenda and discussions for the purpose of enhancing organizational goals in community engagement
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in community development, social studies or related area of study
- Over 5 years’ field-based experience in community development, using sustainable and transformative approaches and tools
- Innovative and pro-active approach to resolving complex community needs
- Competencies in the application of participatory community approaches
- Good planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting skills
- Competencies in adult learning facilitation, planning and execution of workshop and training events
- Partnership-building, networking, collaboration and representation skills
How to apply
All applications should be addressed to the undersigned on or before 24th May 2023, 00.00hrs.
For consideration, please send your application to:
Brooke East Africa
P.O. Box 43220 – 00100
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Brooke is an equal opportunity employer
Professional Conduct: The Brooke East Africa staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in Brooke way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality.
Gender Equality: Brooke East Africa is committed to gender equality in all positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for men and women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits.
Brooke East Africa considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, ethnicity, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital statusand disability.
For further details regarding the organization, please visit: www.thebrooke.org
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- EOI – Senior System Configuration and Development Consultant – TCIS at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- Gender Officer at Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
- Senior Associate, Youth Projects at Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition
- Development Relationship Manager at myAgro
- Regional Marketing Manager at DKT International