Organization – Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Project – Equity Connect Online Platform
Position Type – Community Engagement Manager
Position Location – Remote (Sub-Saharan Africa preferred)
Duration – 3 months
Reporting To – Organization Transformation Consultant
Working With – Organization Transformation Consultant
Starting Date – Immediately
Application Deadline – 9th December 2021
Vacancy Contact – Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social, and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For over 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer, and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia and Kenya.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development
Over the past ten years, Adeso has developed an intimate understanding of the problems faced by both local and national NGOs on a micro and macro level. Adeso has a strong understanding of the barriers that local organizations face in accessing direct funding from donors and the challenges that donors face in partnering with local organizations.
Equity Connect – an online platform – is a critical component of Adeso’s five-year strategy that is focused on systems change and infrastructure development to support the creation of an ecosystem that supports more democratic and equitable resourcing and the strengthening of Global South civil society.
Equity Connect is a centralized online platform that allows direct donor access to local and national NGOs in the Global South that meet industry standards.
The solution aims to fulfill the following:
- Increase visibility of local organizations
- Grow funding flows to local organizations
- Create linkages for both donors and organizations
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
The EquityConnect Community Engagement Manager acts as the liaison between EquityConnect and our audience. They act as the voice, tone, and moderator of the brand through community support, content distribution, and digital engagement to build and sustain trust and connection online.
Their role will be integral in launching and sustaining Equity Connect through the next phases of the development process. The Manager will help create engaging content and foster connection, including through online discussions.
SCOPE OF WORK
The main responsibilities of community management on the EqC platform include facilitation, coordination and administration of network functions including:
● Finding new users from existing networks and partners as well as new partners and answering their questions
● Engaging and retaining current community members
● Supporting the team to create the strategy for developing the EqC community
● Work with the EqC team to develop and implement the EqC online community engagement strategy – defining the approach, discussion and communication activities, and responsibilities of team members and platform users.
● Welcome new members to the EqC platform – ensuring they understand and can make use of all the features including develop and update onboarding materials, including guide, graphics, and video(s).
● Post as a brand ambassador and work on developing the community by participating in discussions, finding new users and listening to the current ones.
● Work with the team to develop and measure metrics to understand Community Growth and Evolution;
● Understand the needs of users over time and develop strategies for retaining users;
● Engage with the EqC development and user experience team to ensure user feedback is captured. Support the team in managing the platform User Support discussion forum.
● Support development of internal community management processes and guide for future managers.
● Degree, certificate, training, or coursework in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, business, or a related field
● Significant and relevant years in the social sector (5+)
● Demonstrated experience working in online communications platforms
● Experience working remotely and coordinating activities across multiple time zones
● Background in support-related field such as communications, PR, social media with the ability to interact with people online and understand how online trust works
● Extremely strong written communication skills and ability to communicate ideas and concepts digitally. Ability to create content and work with others to create content.
● Comfortable with using a very wide range of digital platforms (email, Slack, Twitter, Whatsapp, Zoom, WordPress) and experience with a range of online community platforms (Facebook, Linkedin)
● Digitally savvy and able to keep up with the activity on the platform
● Flexible and adaptable with a high level of empathy and the ability to connect with users
● Fluency in English required, competency in French, Arabic or Spanish desired
● Solid understanding of civil society organizations in the Global South
● Experience as a community manager with evidenced achievements (e.g. doubling the size of an online community with several thousand members, delivering significant improvements on community retention)
● Multi-lingual and able to participate in online discussions in multiple languages (Spanish, French, Arabic)
● Experience managing a small team e.g. 3 people as we add additional community managers
● Data analysis and trend-spotting
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 9th December, 2021 with Community Engagement Manager on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
● An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The letter should be no longer than two pages;
● Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
● Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.