The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-for profit organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International
Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike
The Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is a 5 Year funded project implemented in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States. Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
Level of Effort
Full Time (8.00am to 5.00pm Mondays – Friday) 100%
Number of Persons Required Two (2)
This position reports to the Compliance Director
Under the direction of Compliance Director, the position holder will carry out independent appraisals of the effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards by which the ECEWS ACE’s financial resources are managed. Task / Responsibility
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, adequacy of internal controls, and reliability of financial reporting, compliance with applicable laws/regulations and the safeguard of assets within ECEWS policy framework.
- Plan, perform and report back on internal audits to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor organizations and other control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and managed by the project offices
- Prepare audit program and budget for review and approval by Compliance Director, prepare audit notification including the timing of audits and list of audit requirements, conduct regular field visits to sub-recipients project/ activity locations, beneficiaries, vendors and other relevant stakeholders, as required, to address key identified risks in line with the approved audit plan
- Follow-up on significant findings from previous audits and flag any longoutstanding issues for management action.
- Advise and monitor quality standards and value for money and make recommendations for improvement.
- Test internal controls, target in particular high risk areas; document any weaknesses and their impact, and make recommendations to address these weaknesses
- Where necessary, carry out investigations of alleged fraud, mismanagement, loss of assets or any other investigation
- For each assignment, prepare a written report to present findings and conclusions to management.
- Prepare routine monthly financial and labour related reports and distribute to Senior Management, technical and financial staff.
- Respond to management queries in relation to ECEWS internal control environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent
- MS/MA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent
- CPA, ACA, ACCA, CIA, CIMA, CFE or any other relevant professional qualification
- 4-6 years relevant experience
- Up to 2-4 years’ experience in internal control functions
- Demonstrated experience with U.S Government grants or other client funded programs, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year funds
- Knowledge of IIA’s International Professional Practices Framework is an advantage
- Knowledge of local and donor contractual requirements and regulations Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices.
- Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software and database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to report to supervisor on a regular basis.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow.
- Routine coordination with ECEWS employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain confidentiality for sensitive issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analysing financial data.
- Strong understanding of risk management and internal control issues. Good communication and report writing skills.
- Exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Time management skills, both in planning and organizing work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial and internal control issues to staff with little or no financial background.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
- Fluent English speaker with superior spoken and written communications; candidate must be comfortable speaking in front of large audiences
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
Technology to be used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), accounting software’s, office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 50%.
This vacancy will close on the 2nd of June, 2022
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one (1) MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Human Resources Unit through this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION MUST EXPLICITLY STATE YOUR FULL NAMES, THE POSITION OF INTEREST WITH PREFERED LOCATION as the subject of the email.
Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply. ECEWS has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.