Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti, Somalia and Zambia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, US Office in New York City and Washington DC and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Consortium Coordinator – EUTF RISE Project is Responsible for the overall leadership, management and coordination of the EUTF RISE project in partnership with the consortium organizations (Action Against Hunger, Welthungerhilfe, Norwegian Refugee Council and PALM) and in compliance with the technical approach, Country strategy and EU donor grant requirements.
Provision of leadership and management (overall design, delivery, quality, M&E and advocacy) to deliver accountable and impactful high quality Programme interventions in line with donor rules, guidelines, consortium strategy and Action Against Hunger mandate. Collaborate and coordinate with other governments agencies, local authorities and partners for quality monitoring, review and implementation of the project. Ensure accountability, reflections and learning within the Programme.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Management and implementation of the project, with an emphasis on ensuring timely and high quality achievement of the project goal and objectives by the respective Consortium partners.
- Consortium Coordinator – EUTF RISE Project Lead induction and orientation of all staff on all relevant components of the project and ensure staff are aware of and operating by humanitarian principles and other codes of conduct.
- Develop a close coordination with Action Against Hunger, the Government of Uganda, and Office of the Prime Minister and EU delegation and other UN Agencies providing assistance in the same region.
- Represent the Consortium in coordination engagements and ensure close collaboration with other agencies and partners who are implementing project activities in the same areas.
- Consortium Coordinator – EUTF RISE Project Proactively engage, and facilitate formal meetings with key stakeholders including with the Government authorities, with support from Action Against Hunger to effectively champion activities of the project and ensure visibility.
- Communication, Information sharing within the programme and promote participation of staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders to all the steps of the programme cycle.
- Oversee development of the Consortium communication and advocacy strategy and promote the use of Consortium-generated knowledge and learning and ensure external visibility of the consortium, with support from Action Against Hunger.
- Chair the PMU meetings (TWG meetings) between partner representatives, technical advisors, MEAL and support functions.
- Initiate and facilitate Steering Committee meetings, draft agendas to reflect priorities, challenges and opportunities for the Consortium and accountable to Consortium Steering Committee,
- Consortium Coordinator – EUTF RISE Project will Coordinate consortium partner support in finance, MEAL and Program sectors and lead all project planning, monitoring and reporting needs as required according to donor guidelines.
- Build capacity of project staff and members of consortium on relevant guidelines, regulations, tools and procedures as required by the donor.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and other financial report for the consortium and communicate to management any emerging financial issues.
- Seek advice from the Country Director on the program implementation methodology and approaches and keep the CD updated on the program progress
- Lead and manage the Programme Management Unit (PMU) including finance and MEAL functions and ensure they implement the project in line with donor requirements.
- Troubleshoot any challenges with project implementation in consultation with the partners and bring this to attention of the partners in a timely manner.
- Consolidate output trackers from all partners to prepare monthly status updates on the Consortium’s progress, challenges and planned mitigation measures.
- Monitor activity implementation of the partners and ensure harmonization of the activity implementation across partners in their areas of operation.
- Monitor Partner’s implementation of the project as stipulated in their proposals and as per the work plans presented and ensure that the spending rates of the project are commensurate with the project spending plans.
- Define performance objectives and facilitate regular performance appraisals with support of the HR team, the field coordinator, finance coordinator, MEAL coordinator and ensure timely adherence to performance management guidelines
- Consortium Coordinator – EUTF RISE Project will Champion a compliance with the Charter of principles and the fight against fraud, corruption and abuse of power and alert the Country Director in the event of fraud, corruption or abuse of power.
- A post-graduate degree in international relations, business administration, management, human rights, social sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional work experience in humanitarian/ development work including in displacement setting.
- A good understanding and experience of context in Northern Uganda is an added advantage.
- Technical expertise and experience in integrated programming is is required.
- Must be dynamic and experienced in coordination, project implementation and managing partnerships or consortia.
- Demonstrated project, program and human resource management experience, including working with local partners.
- Excellent people skills including warmth and sensitivity, conversational, able to relate to and effectively communicate with people from different cultures and at various levels.
- Strong understanding of MEAL especially in complex programs.
- Willingness to travel at least 50% of the time to the different project locations (Adjumani, Yumbe, Arua).
- High-level communication and people management skills.
- Excellent writing skills with ability to negotiate effectively between different stakeholders, and to represent the Consortium at high-level forums.
Our Core values.
*In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values*
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
What we offer.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
- Job City kampala