About the role: Construction and Engineering Coordinator
This is a 2 year, new role with terms based in Khartoum with frequent travel to project locations (West Darfur, 30%; South unaccompanied Kordofan, 25%; West Kordofan, 25%; and Khartoum 20%), with a salary of Grade 4 of €44,133 – €53,941.
You will report to the Programme Director – Operations and provide technical guidance to the Engineers based in field offices. You will work closely with Programmes Director – Quality and Impact, Area Coordinators and Managers (West & South Kordofan and West Darfur), Programmes Managers and field staff, Logistic Coordinator and technical advisors.
We would like you to start no later than 1st June 2022.
Your purpose: To coordinate all aspects of infrastructure provision for Concern Sudan including but not limited to construction contract management and administration of all infrastructure and infrastructure-related projects (general and WASH), technical documentation (design drawings and plans, estimates and bills of quantities, scoping of works, etc.), preparations, rehabilitation works, water supply, sanitation and hygiene-related activities and all other construction and engineering-related activities in close coordination with Programme, Project Managers and Programme Director. The position covers all project funded infrastructure and infrastructure-related activities. This includes support to and coordination with the relevant Cluster systems, such as the Sudan WASH Cluster.
You will be responsible for: technical supervision of field based engineers
Your job responsibilities include:
Programme/Project Technical Planning
- Preparation of all necessary technical documentations are required and described in the Engineering Technical Documentation Requirements document by the Engineering Unit/Group in Concern. Technical documentation preparations shall entail the development and planning of projects to include drawing up design plans and drawings, developing quantity and cost estimates, scoping of works, technical specifications and design calculations (as necessary).
- Assist in development of budgetary estimates for programme/project proposals related to infrastructure activities planned.
- Coordinate and work with Programme Management on infrastructure and infrastructure related programming by providing adequate and accurate budgetary figures in relation to construction and engineering related project within the programme.
- Conduct necessary field assessments of facilities before developing action plans for Works (new and/or rehabilitation) and Services. Prepare accurate and timely written reports for submission and discussion with Programme Team (Managers and Director)
- Prepare all technical documentation requirements for tendering or RFQ on all engineering and construction activities to include the preparation of adequate and accurate plans and drawings (to be concurred and approved by Concern Engineering Advisors), bills of quantities and technical specifications, scopes of works and cost estimates.
- Support and assist in the development of tender documentations in relation to procurement of Works and Services (for engineering and construction projects).
- Facilitate, administer and manage the process of contract tendering, evaluations, recommendations for contract awards all in accordance with Concern Procurement Procedures and Policies.
- Work with procurement team in evaluating and verification of bids and tenders in relation to engineering and construction activities. Co-ordinate and work with Programme Managers and Director to process and approved works and services contract agreements utilizing approved and provided for standard construction contract templates. (being developed by Engineering Team in Concern HQ)
- Keep electronic and hard copies of all documents pertaining to Engineering and Construction activities for each Programme Sector.
- Implement and manage construction contract and activities in close coordination with Programme Managers and support staffs (construction supervisors or programme officers)
- Conduct regular site visits and provide technical instructions and guidance to field supervisors and programme officers in various project related works i.e. heath facility rehabilitations, WASH related constructions, water yards and other sanitation activities.
- Conduct measurements (as necessary) and certify payments for accomplishments based on contract agreements and contract activities in direct compliance with contract conditions entered into between Concern and programme implementors (Contractors) and recommend for payment activities that are certified completed.
- Analyze and prepare detailed weekly, monthly and quarterly reports for particular projects to contain both physical and financial records of accomplishments and share these reports with Programme Managers and Director.
- Record and recommend corrective measures as necessary for project implementors (Contractors) who encounters delays on their performance of the Works and Services as contracted. Written records of instructions shall be kept by the Construction and Engineering Coordinator of any notice of delays issued to Contractors for future references.
- Chair and provide technical recommendations on problems encountered at construction sites and record recommendations and verify resolutions of these problems and challenges.
- Oversee all services and Works procurements contracts entered into by Concern Sudan and report any issues to Management.
- Monitor, administer and manage all aspects of construction and engineering activities supported by Concern Sudan in close coordination with programme managers and director.
- Review and analyse documentations (both technical and administrative) of communication, reports (financial and logistical) in relation to the various aspects of the construction activities i.e. procurement, delivery, distribution and other activities and resources under the projects/programmes.
- Document and record all site visits and meetings, prepare reports and share with programme managers and director.
- Management/collection/archiving and recording of all construction and engineering related logistical request within the various programmes.
- Request for and review of progress reports from field staffs and programme officers overseeing construction and engineering activities for the various programmes
- Provide support to logistics team in technical inspections of procured construction materials ensuring that the quality and specifications of materials procured are all in accordance with the requisitions and standards of good quality practice.
Reporting and Administration
- Participate in Programme coordination meetings and provide updates on engineering and construction activities for each programme.
- Provide regular updates and briefs on construction and engineering activities implemented, accomplishments, received and sent communiques, problems and challenges encountered, security concerns and solutions executed, etc.
- Preparation of monthly progress reports on physical and financial components of the various construction and engineering projects and share the report with programme managers and SMT.
- Actively participate in meetings, exchanges and fora with the relevant in-country Cluster mechanisms related to Engineering and construction, such as the Sudan WASH Cluster. Ensure Concern’s activities are shared with the relevant mechanisms and help to ensure coordination of activities at the field leve.
- Participate in meetings with partner organizations in particular if these partner organizations are implementing engineering and construction related activities.
- Support with coordination at the state level with relevant actors (e.g. State-level Ministry of Health, WES and other actors undertaking relevant engineering works)
HR and Other Administrative Duties
- Provide technical advice and support to all programme managers and team in planning and budgeting construction and engineering activities.
- Support programme managers and team in the development of accurate and detailed terms of references / job descriptions for works and services planned by the programme team in relation to construction and engineering.
- Build capacity of community groups, partners and Concern staff on technical monitoring and supervision of construction activities.
- Build capacity of consultants/contractors used in construction activities
- Mentor and build capacity of WASH/Construction Engineers and Officers so they could perform required task effectively and accurately.
- Provide technical input into all aspects of community mobilization works related to construction (as necessary, for some projects), the management of infrastructure and promotion of hygiene and sanitation.
- Any other task assigned by the Programme and Country Director.
- Assist in recruitment and training of national staff construction team in management techniques and provide technical guidance and ideas on standard and good practices in construction.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Civil Engineering (from a reputable educational institution) with a minimum of 10 years of progressive engineering and construction experience on various types of construction and civil design works and/or projects
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with an INGO with experience in humanitarian or development programming
- Recognition from a state regulatory board and/or agency of his/her profession.
- Membership in Professional Societies (Most particular in the Engineering Profession)
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in Contract and Construction Administration and Management of civil and WASH-related constructions.
- Proven ability to apply sound judgements and analytical skills to complex and diverse engineering disciplines
- Proven construction and engineering design skills with the ability to produce adequate and sufficient design drawings plans and calculations.
- Proven ability in the use of structural design software and/or manual structural design calculations.
- Ability and proficiency in the use of drafting software (AutoCAD, Draftsight or any appropriate drafting tool).
- Computer literacy in MS packages (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Experience in working in the humanitarian sector and in complex emergency situations
- Experience of working in complex emergency situations and capacity to work with others whilst at the same time delivering expected results.
- Experience in personnel management
- Good communication skills i.e. advisory/instruction skills, network skills, team building skills, training/capacity-building skills.
- Good time management skills and ability to respond positively and constructively to a rapid changing operational environment
- Excellent English oral and written skills essential
- Good understanding of institutional donors’ requirements and operating styles
We would also like:
- Previous experience in a similar capacity
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate
- Ability to cope with stress, work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Flexibility, adaptability, sense of humour, and patience
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
- Oral and written Arabic skills desirable
- Experience of working in Sudan or the South Sahara Region would be an asset
- Knowledge of Concern Worldwide policies, procedures and standards.
How to apply
All applications should be submitted through our website, by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
All candidates who are short-listed for a first round interview will be notified via email after the application deadline.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Important: HIV testing and travel restrictions based on HIV status apply in Sudan. This means that in order to obtain a visa or work permit, the government of Sudan impose HIV-related travel restrictions usually involve a mandatory declaration of HIV status and/or testing.
- Job City Khartoum