Consular Officer (100%)
1 year Fixed term contract-with the possibility of extension
As the official representation of Switzerland, the Embassy covers all matters concerning diplomatic and consular relations between Switzerland, Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Somalia and Uganda. Due to the temporary closure of the Swiss Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, a new position is opened at the Swiss Embassy in Nairobi for a Consular Officer who handles mainly visa applications and applications for family reunifications for applicants domiciled in Eritrea and Sudan.
- Visa Services:
- Receives and checks visa applications, applying Swiss and Schengen Standards
- Conducts interviews, including high profile visa applicants (VIP)
- Verifies & documents issued in Eritrea or Sudan
- Prepares civil status documents for authentication
- Preparing of files for family reunification, for transmission to Switzerland
- Administrative tasks:
- Supports the expatriate colleague in charge of Sudan and Eritrea in all consular matters
- Answers phone and e-mail inquiries from the public from Eritrea, Sudan and Switzerland
- Handles visa fees and accounting of visa fees
- Coordinates appointments for consular customers from Eritrea and Sudan
- Classifies visa files and correspondence
- Keeps visa information up-dated in line with various rules and regulations
Professional qualifications and experience:
- Diploma / University degree in Business Administration from a reputable institution
- Excellent computer skills (MS-Office)
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic
- Good working knowledge (Level B2 and above) in German or French
- Working experience of at least 3 years in the Consular Section of an Embassy
- Highly motivated, committed and able to work in a team
- Ability to deal effectively and in a diplomatic manner at all levels
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and with a minimum of supervision
- High degree of adaptability and capacity to learn
- Good communication, writing and interpersonal skills
- Tact in dealing with clients in difficult situations
- Precise, dynamic, high level of integrity and loyalty
- Strong service and customer orientation, courteous
How to apply
Modalities of Employment and Application
- Duty station is Nairobi.
- Candidate must be MUST have work permit/legally able to work in Kenya.
- Applicants should include a letter of motivation (maximum 1 page) and a CV (maximum 4 pages). Certificates and other testimonials should not be submitted at this stage.
- Interested applicants should submit their applications to email@example.com by latest 5:00pm 22nd June 2023.
- Start date: ASAP
Kindly take note of the following
- You are highly encouraged to apply only if you meet the minimum requirements.
- Please be advised that the Embassy of Switzerland does not charge any fees from applicants at any stage nor has it engaged a third party to facilitate this hire.
- We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks post application, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- ACCESS AND RISK ADVISOR at CARE USA
- Human Resources Intern at Save the Children Nigeria
- Area Support Coordinator at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- National HACT Consultants at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Communications and Social Media Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)