Job Title: Consultancy – Diversity Equality and Inclusion (DEI) Assignment
Location: Kenya and Tanzania
Duration: 40 working days
Deadline: April 1st, 2023
Starting date: April, 2023
About Protection International
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop HRDs’ capacities to manage their own security as their struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where HRDs are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its global office in Brussels, but primarily works where protection of HRDs is needed. PI has long-term presence in several countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America. Under its Global Strategy 2019-2023, PI is gradually transforming into a network of Hubs, establishing regional offices that work in a flexible manner across several countries.
Protection International Africa (PIA) is PI’s regional office in Africa. It has its Africa Regional Office in Nairobi (Kenya). PIA currently has two country offices in Kenya and DR Congo, and a presence in Tanzania. PIA tailors its approach to each context and profile of defenders we support.
Objectives of the Consultancy:
PIA works with diverse groups of HRDs (especially marginalised and minority groups) across Africa region. As such, staff in charge of making interventions to these groups often rely in their field experiences as well as desktop reviews of existing studies.
Thus, the consultancy on Diversity Equality and Inclusion (DEI) specifically seeks to:
- To get to understand staff’s perceptions, norms and beliefs on DEI.
- Identify staff’s knowledge gaps on DEI.
- To conduct a sensitization training on DEI for the staff.
Terms of Reference of the consultant:
- Conduct consultations with staff to assess their perceptions, knowledge, attitudes and recommendations related to diversity equity and inclusion in the workplace for staff in Kenya and Tanzania.
- From the assessment, identifying the gaps that need to be addressed and facilitating the sessions to help both the teams be more efficient in supporting special HRDs.
- Develop and provide training to all staff, on the different dimensions of Gender, Equity, Social and inclusion GESI).
- Provide a detailed report with time-bound recommendations.
- Provide draft guidelines on DEI for the organization that are contextually appropriate that maybe used to upskill staff as part of the onboarding for future members
- Review internal policies and identify areas of improvement on DEI.
Consultant (s) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (social work, sociology, psychology, gender studies etc.)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in DEI mainstreaming, working with civil society and the public and private sectors.
- Experience implementing activities for the prevention and inclusion of marginalized and vulnerable groups.
- Must have a clear understanding and prior success employing programs in Tanzania and Kenya
- Ability to work as a member of a collaborative team to design inclusive activity implementation strategies in an array of technical fields.
- Excellent and fluent communication in both Swahili and English.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and writing.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships with national and international staff, in a multicultural environment and with multidisciplinary teams.
- Preference for individuals that have worked on programs with a focus in Human Rights defenders and other vulnerable members of the society.
Duration of Assignment:
The assignment will take a maximum period of 40 working days preferably starting on April 2023 and ending on or before 28th June 2023.
Qualified individuals/organizations are invited to apply for this consultancy by submitting the following documents:
- Expression of Interest with a clear understanding of the TORs.
- Proposed Methodology and timelines for this assignment.
- Reference letters/materials from previous assignments.
- Curriculum Vitae of the individual (s) that will undertake this assignment. For organizations, please provide your organizational profile and portfolio on similar assignment.
- A budget quotation for the costs of the assignment.
How to apply
All applications should be addressed to the Regional Human Resource Officer via: firstname.lastname@example.org. The email Subject should read “DEI ASSIGNMENT APPLICATION”. All applications will be received by email only. For heavy documents, please provide a link to access them.
This call for consultancy closes on April 15th, 2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Africa Time.
We thank all candidates for their interest and we will aim to send feedback as much as we can, however, with the high volume of responses and our internal capacities, we may only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
Protection International is an equal opportunity employer. The organization shall not discriminate and will proactively apply affirmative action principles against discrimination in advertisements for employment, recruitment and other conditions of employment, preventing discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, differently abled, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Adhering to Protection International means to comply with our Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Security Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination.
PI promotes gender equality, diversity and inclusion. PI strongly encourages women applicants to apply for this position.
Further information about Protection International is available on www.protectioninternational.org
Please note that PIA does not charge commission or any other fee in its recruitment processes.