The African Union (AU) invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest by tendering applications for the following works:
The African Union (AU), established in 2002 as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as fostering international cooperation. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Consultancy Services – Constitutional Drafting Expert Deployment to the AULO Chad
The AU-Led Support Mechanism for the Political Transition in Chad was established pursuant to the Communique PSC/BR/COMM.(CMXCVI) adopted at the 996th meeting of the Peace and Security Council held on 14 May 2021. Pursuant to the decision, an Early Response Mechanism was developed for multi-disciplinary, technical support to the Transitional National Government (TNG) and the AU Liaison Office in N’Djamena towards: (i) convening a national dialogue and other relevant activities; (ii) capacity building activities and good office missions; (iv) other activities related to the ongoing transitional process in Chad; and (v) the overall functions of the AU High Representative to Chad in the discharge of his mandate.
In 2021, The AU-SM has supported the Pre-Dialogue Activities of the Chadian Government including activities undertaken by various Chadian institutions and entities. On 15 January 2022, the Commission deployed five (5) technical Experts to serve for 45-days, ending on 28 February 2022. Since the recruitment the Technical Experts, the Chadian Political Transition has experienced delays. For example, following internal consultations that assessed the preparations undertaken hitherto towards an inclusive national dialogue, the Chadian authorities have announced the postponement of both the pre-dialogue talks between the politico-military groups and the National Dialogue to 27 February and 10 May 2022, respectively. The pre-dialogue talks were originally scheduled to take place on 10 January, while the National Dialogue was scheduled for 15 February 2022.
Given the aforementioned delays, the Commission deems the maintenance of technical support important towards the convening of the National Dialogue and the implementation of the outcome of the process.
Scope of Service
The Expert will provide technical support and expertise on issues around constitutional amendments, constitutions drafting process and holding of referendum amongst others.
The Expert will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide technical support in the implementation of constitutional assistance programs in the following areas, including: amendment of the constitution, complaints and dispute resolution, overall process management, and support to stakeholders involved in the process;
- Support the relevant government officials or offices in carrying out their constitutional mandate by sharing comparative experience and knowledge;
- Support capacity building and training programs for all stakeholders involved in the process in order to disseminate knowledge and guidance related to constitution amendment processes and constitutionalism;
- Develops timely and efficient communication mechanisms with, and provides regular reports to, the AULO to Chad and the Constitutionalism and Rule of Law Unit of the PAPS Department at the AUC;
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the direct supervisor and the SRCC.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
The qualified candidate should have:
- A Master’s university Degree in Peace & Security Studies, International Studies, Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Public Administration, or other related disciplines, with at least 5 years relevant experience. A Bachelor degree in the above-mentioned fields with at least 7 years relevant experience will be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Additional trainings or certification in the field of constitutionalism and Constitution amendment would be an added advantage;
- Previous experience in implementing, supporting or advising on constitutions amendment process is required;
- Experience in a field operation of the AU, other Regional Economic Communities/Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs), the UN or other international institutions would be desirable;
- Knowledge of Chad Peace Security and Governance issues.
Application Closing Date
3:00pm, 23rd May, 2022.
Submission of Documents
Applications must be delivered in a written form to the address below at:
African Union Commission,
Head of Procurement Travel and Store Division,
P.O. Box 3243, Roosevelt Street
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Email: Tender@africa-union.org and firstname.lastname@example.org
N/B: Consultant should send the proposal to both emails.
Click Here (PDF) for more clarifications.