TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR A CONSULTANCY TO CONDUCT A TRAINER OF TRAINERS ON SOCIAL RETURN ON INVESTMENT
TOR REFERENCE NUMBER: HIHEA/013-2021/M&E**
Reports to: Head of Programs**
Location of project: **Eldoret
Type of contract: Consultancy
Languages required: English essential, Swahili an advantage**
Period of implementation: 10** days**
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya and Tanzania and is part of the Hand in Hand global network. The organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and is currently operating in 22 Field offices within 27 out of 47 Counties in Kenya. HiH EA has so far mobilised, trained and is training over 300,000 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created over 296,000 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and over 400,000 jobs on the Kenyan programme. Hand in Hand Eastern Africa –Tanzania (HiH EA-TZ) began operations in January 2018 and is currently operating in two field locations in northern Tanzania. So far, HiH EA-TZ has mobilised over 12,000 members (83% women) who have either been trained or are still under training, and who have created over 8,850 enterprises and over 12,490 jobs. Hand in Hand International is a registered NGO in the UK which provides fundraising, programmes and technical support to its Hand in Hand network partners in Eastern Africa, as well as in Zimbabwe, India and Afghanistan. Hand in Hand Sweden is our global network partner that provides technical, financial support to its networks in Kenya and India.
The organization works with marginalized communities in the areas of economic and social empowerment using a participatory approach aimed at helping people fight poverty and vulnerability. The Hand in Hand enterprise and job creation approach is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable people living in poverty, particularly women, to build and sustain independent, market-based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to greater food security, better education for children, increased access to healthcare, improved housing and overall improved livelihoods.
HIH EA is implementing a project in Uasin Gishu County managed by the Eldoret branch. The project seeks to empower target groups to enhance their capacities in resilient agriculture as well as viable value chains that can propel their livelihoods to a higher level. The project is using the social return on investment approach as a monitoring and evaluation approach. HiH EA is therefore seeking a consultant to offer training in the areas of social return on investment evaluation approach for the project operation teams.
HIH EA Current Approach
HIH EA has a robust data collection and storage system for various key indicators as well as project specific indicators. Our focus on evaluation is summarized below;
We do not have capacity to conduct SROI within our teams and we are hoping this consultancy offers the opportunity to strengthen this approach.
Scope of work
- Prepare training materials and content contextualized to our project needs and also our approach to development
- Conduct a training that responds to our needs on SROI, as may be defined consultatively.
- Provide training content in accessible formats for ToTs to use in their future training.
- Train TOTs
- Assess their levels of understanding and provide a training report.
- Training report including assessment done level of understanding of TOTs (can be pre/post-tests)
- Training guide and materials.
- The desired consultancy firm must have substantial experience in carrying out TOT trainings in social development areas
- The firm must have provided training on SROIs to development organizations at national or international level.
- The firm must demonstrate ability to contextualize the training based on our needs
- It must have teams well versed in monitoring and evaluation approaches, some finance or audit background
- Training lead to have a minimum of 10 years’ experience on carrying out training including adult learning approaches.
- Excellent knowledge of social return on investment and monitoring and evaluation approaches, and finance knowledge
- Track record of capacity building and change management around systems, processes and approaches;
- A commitment to social and economic empowerment and the reduction of poverty;
- A university degree preferably in social development, gender empowerment, finance, and other closely related areas;
- Native or near-native fluency in written and spoken English is a must; fluency in Kiswahili would be an advantage;
- The training will be held in Eldoret, Kenya. International travels are not catered for by the project.
How to apply
Submission of proposals
Consultants are invited to submit proposals tailored to the outlined requirements, comprising of a technical proposal, financial proposal with clear costs, methodology plan, work plan and CVs for the suggested work team. Deadline for submission of proposals is Friday 31st December, 2021 at 1700hrs. All proposals to be sent via email to: email@example.com using the TOR Reference number as the subject, HIHEA/013-2021/M&E.
For more information about Hand in Hand Eastern Africa, please visit: https://handinhand-ea.org/