Title: Consultant -Health Economist
We are a global team of experts and innovators tackling some of the world’s most pressing health challenges. We work with leaders and change makers around the globe to bring health strategies to life. We provide ideas, advice and technical know-how that enable our partners to build a path to lasting change.
With 30 years experience in global health, we collaborate with our partners to explore existing evidence, combine expertise, scale up ideas and co-create solutions that accelerate change. This includes collaborating on policy design, managing initiatives, building powerful coalitions and galvanising social movements. Our impact is felt across whole communities, with a focus on women, girls and those who have been marginalised.
As part of MSI Reproductive Choices, all our profits go back into supporting MSI’s own mission of children by choice, not chance.
We believe in a world where everyone can access the high-quality health services they need, without financial burden.
Kenya Devolution Programme (KDP) aims to strengthen devolution in Kenya to improve service delivery and accelerate poverty reduction across 10 counties in Kenya. Options provides overall technical leadership on approaches to strengthen the health sector: ensuring that improved governance, public financial management, and citizen engagement, translate into better health services.
Options is using a ‘demand led’ approach to the support it provides to the counties: conducting rapid political economy analyses to identify key bottlenecks that are hindering county investment in the health sector and providing strategic technical assistance to address these. We are also facilitating ‘peer to peer’ learning between counties: ensuring that the technical assistance (TA) provided by the programme is shared, and that a culture of joint problem solving is established to strength the health system across the counties.
Options is seeking services of an independent Health Economist consultant to support in the development of the County Health Sector Plan (CHSP) for two counties under the Kenya Devolution Programme (KDP). The consultant will have a strong track record and experience in costing of health services and extensive knowledge in health systems policy and planning in Kenya.
The overall aim of the assignment is to facilitate and ensure the successful completion of the County Health Sector Plan 2022/2032 by working closely with the Sector Working Group and other key stakeholders.
As the Health Economist Consultant, the consultant will support the Sector Working Group (SWG) to conduct the County situation analysis and performance review and avail updated information and data to inform the development of the County Health Sector Plan.
The consultant will identify priority areas for inclusion in the County Health Sector Plan based on the situational analysis findings and in consultation with key stakeholders. The consultant will ensure that the CHSP is Programme-based and aligns with annual budgets. The consultant will support the SWG to develop an M&E plan for the CHSP 2022-32 through consultative approaches.
The consultant will be able to co-facilitate a workshop in collaboration with other local partners leading on the health specific components and organize follow up workshop to validate the County Health Sector Plans 2022/2032.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Advanced University degree in Health Economics (Masters or PhD), Health Financing or related fields with experience in Costing of Health Services.
- Have at least 5 years of experience in costing of health services, Health Sector Strategic plans, or disease specific strategic plans.
- Extensive knowledge, and experience in health financing in developing countries.
- Extensive experience in conducting evaluation/review studies in the health sector, with a focus on equity, social protection, and health financing issues.
- Extensive knowledge, and experience in health systems policy and planning in Kenya.
- Strong background and understanding of costing tools and methodologies
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Being fluent in English both spoken and written.
- As an equal opportunity employer, Options Consultancy Services is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage or civil partnership. We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join Options Consultancy Services.
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, promote diversity and inclusion, are energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Kenya
- To apply, please fill in the form
- Closing date for applications is Friday 5 June 2022
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including criminal record check, identification check, employment references and right to work verification (where appropriate)
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application at your earliest opportunity
- Job City Kenya