Type of Contract: Full-time
Location: Nairobi, covering Horn of Africa region
Duration of Contract: Indefinite; no less than 12 months
Altai Consulting is a strategy, research and monitoring & evaluation firm focusing on the developing world. Altai began operating in 2003 and has since successfully completed over 350 consulting and research assignments in Africa, the Middle East and in Central Asia. Our clients include major international private sector actors as well as donors and their implementing partners, international organizations (the European Union, United Nations, World Bank, etc.), and INGOs looking for both technical expertise and high-level strategy advice.
As part of its Public Policy Practice, Altai Consulting seeks experienced and knowledgeable consultants for several projects in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL), and migration-related programming. The Consultant will work under the supervision of a Project Director and liaise with relevant partners (mainly aid actors implementing projects funded by the client), assist in the development of logframes and indicators, collect and clean data obtained from partners, assist in preparing reports for the client, analyze the obtained data, conduct case studies on specific aspects, gather, analyze and draft conclusions, support partners in their M&E systems design, etc.
Experience in development, particularly in monitoring and evaluation, desired.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Participate in the development of methodologies for the Monitoring and Evaluation of projects in East Africa;
- Liaise regularly with and provide support to implementing partners;
- Conduct field research (qualitative and quantitative);
- Design and maintain project databases;
- Analyze large quantities of data from varied sources;
- Report writing in English;
- Prepare presentations;
- Prepare documentation when required by clients or the management of the company;
- Build capacity of team members, client, and/or beneficiaries;
- Conduct interviews and secondary data research for qualitative studies;
- Others as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Masters’ degree or higher in Economics, International Relations and/or Development, Public Policy, Migration, Evaluation, Engineering, Statistics or Data analytics.
Analytical skills requirements:
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at report writing and presenting findings;
- Excellent written and spoken English (French is a plus).
- Prior knowledge of Excel (lookups, pivot tables…) and PowerPoint required;
- Prior knowledge of Access, SQL, and/or QGIS is a plus.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, including prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines
- Flexible, self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently;
- Mature and independent personality with a curious and humble mindset;
- Experience writing policy papers, assessments, and/or strategic recommendations that require deep analytical capacity
- Eagerness to travel and discover new cultures & environments.
Must be available for relocation to Nairobi, with periods of work in other East African countries as relevant
How to apply
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.