Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Mercy Corps’ global safeguarding team is a key part of the Mercy Corps Ethics and Compliance department and leads our organizational efforts to prevent, detect, and deter safeguarding issues. We have a responsibility and commitment to ensure that safeguarding is embedded within all aspects of our programming.
Purpose / Project Description:
At Mercy Corps, Safeguarding is a holistic term that encompasses our prevention and response work on issues involving Sexual Exploitation and Abuse of Beneficiaries, Sexual Harassment in the Workplace and Child Safeguarding. The Mercy Corps safeguarding team seeks to engage an experienced safeguarding professional with excellent writing skills and a track record of developing strong safeguarding program guidance, tools and trainings across a global organization around how to best mainstream safeguarding standards at the program level.
The consultant will support the safeguarding team in the creation and updating of tools, guidance documents, trainings and resources necessary for implementation of a new set of Safeguarding Core Standards. These guidance materials will support program and operational teams in designing, delivering, and mainstreaming safeguarding throughout operations, and assist in developing systems to more effectively integrate safeguarding best practices into program design, budgeting, start-up and implementation.
The Consultant will:
- Contribute to the development of tools and resources to support program, HR and operational teams in mainstreaming safeguarding throughout the program lifecycle. Toolkits may include:
- Safeguarding Budget Guidance and Proposal Guidance
- Safe Programming Guidance
- Country and Program Level Safeguarding Risk Assessment Tool
- Safeguarding in Emergencies Guidance
- Safeguarding Guide for Short Term Employment
- Leadership Guide to Safeguarding
- Safe Recruitment Guidance
Timeframe / Schedule:
Three months (with possibility of extension)
The Consultant will report to: Safeguarding Advisor
The Consultant will work closely with:
Mercy Corps Ethics & Compliance Department, Mercy Corps Global Safeguarding Team, other headquarters, and country program teams
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5-10 years of experience in Safeguarding
- Bachelor’s degree of education or equivalent
- Experience and expertise in the creation of Safeguarding guidance documents and tools in the International NGO context
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Skills and experience in adult education and learning systems (desirable)
- Technical skills and knowledge in PSEAH and Safeguarding
- Ability to run a number of complex processes and projects at the same time, staying on track
- Highly organized with excellent time management skills
- Tenacity and drive
- Excellent relationship builder and networker
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French and/or Arabic highly desirable
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members or consultants. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members and consultants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Consultants are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
To apply: http://app.jobvite.com/m?3aTLjmwY