Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) is a non-profit organization that promotes socio-economic development by supporting global health and economic initiatives in Nigeria. AHNi currently has its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
We are recruiting qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant to Train Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) Champions as Peer Educators on HIV Prevention
Location: Awka, Anambra
Department: Global Fund
Start date: 5th October, 2022
Activity Period: October 5th – 7th 2022
Duration: 3 days
- The Global Fund supported National Aligned HIV/AIDS Initiative (NAHI) implements a HIV prevention program for both in- and out- of school Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) in Anambra state focusing on Biomedical, Behavioural, and structural interventions.
- Peer education has been used to implement HIV programmes targeting communities of various societal, structural, and institutional barriers to access of preventive and clinical health services especially among Adolescents and Young Persons (AYP). Such barriers include inadequate HIV risk perception and HIV literacy, discrimination, gender-based violence, peer pressure, poverty, etc.
- Peer education also offers a channel to role model desired behaviour, to shift attitudes, share ideas, build skills, and develop critical thinking about existing behaviour and group norms on HIV prevention.
- To attain this feat AHNI requires a facilitator to provide a 3-day HIV prevention peer education training for 21 AGYW Champions who are expected to interface with AGYW in high incidence LGAs in Anambra state to addressing social norms, gender roles, power imbalances and HIV risk among AGYW.
Description / Purpose of the Consultancy
- The purpose of this consultancy is to train Peer Educators to conduct face-to-face peer education to AGYW address HIV risk perception, social norms, gender roles, power imbalances and child marriage among AGYW in Anambra.
- The consultant is expected to closely work with technical staff of the AGYW in delivering on this assignment.
Objectives of the Consultancy
- The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen the capacity of peer educators and community outreach programmes in addressing stigma and discrimination and gender issues amongst AGYW towards improving access to HIV prevention services and ultimately a reduction in HIV incidence among girls aged between 10 and 24 in Anambra state.
- Specifically, the objective of this consultancy is to train and equip the Peer Educators within the Anambra AGYW program with correct information and knowledge on sexual reproductive health, and rights, employability, and leadership skills.
- The leaders will be trained as facilitators, youth friendly health services providers, community youth distributing agents to provide information and services to their fellow peers to have a multiplier effect.
Consultancy Overview and Role
The AGYW Peer Education facilitator/consultant service will include the following:
- Develop agenda and training slides for the 3-day training
- Utilize different facilitation methods including role plays, group discussions, etc as may be necessary.
- Collate and analyze the output of the training in a post training report.
Based on the activities listed above, the Consultants are expected to produce or accomplish the following:
- Conduct a 3-day training of AGYW Champions on HIV prevention and package of care.
- Submit an end of training report of the consultancy assignment to AHNI.
- Minimum Degree in Social Science, Public Health, or relevant field
- Proven experience at least 3 years in HIV programing and evidence of working with AGYW.
- Strong track record of engaging stakeholders for comparable programmes
- Experience of training facilitation.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong facilitation skill
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality output
- Ability to adapt designs according to feedback quickly and efficiently and attention to detail.
Application Closing Date
Thurssday; 29th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae as a single MS Word documentto: GF_Advert@ahnigeria.org using their Name, Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Senior Program Officer, Health Systems Strengthening at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Business and System Analyst – IPMS at Heifer International
- National Clinical Mentor at APIN Public Health Initiatives Limited / Gte
- Technical Officer, Vaccine Preventable Disease (VPD) – NO-B at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Technical Officer, Vaccine Preventable Disease (VPD) – NO-C at World Health Organization (WHO)