Self Help Africa (SHA) is looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial professional with significant programme management and proven business growth experience, to drive forward the Group’s mission and vision and deepening of our impact, through delivering high quality programmes and ensuring that the processes of planning, implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning, are robust. The Country Director will be responsible for overseeing all areas of SHA’s and TruTrade’s operations in Kenya, leveraging on their networks and resources, driving business growth and providing leadership and strategy guidance to the country teams, with five direct reports.
The key responsibility of this role is the development, delivery and recalibration of the Group’s Kenya country strategy to ensure the strategy is fit for purpose, aligned to our newly launched Global Strategy to ensure that we are achieving significant impact for participants within our programming.
The Country Director will also take full ownership for growing SHA and TruTrade’s operations in Kenya. This will focus on growing the funding base and exploring new income streams to help us increase our footprint and maximise our impact through securing and implementing new programmes. The Country Director will collaborate with international organisations, national government, national organisations and the private sector to design and finance innovative programmes that strengthen agricultural value chains, support entrepreneurs and their businesses and drive rural economic development and reduce poverty.
- You will manage a large and diverse team, providing direct line management to members of the Country Management Team and working strategically with the Team Leader of the Agrifi Project.
- Proactively promote team building and cohesion strategies to ensure effective and people centred delivery of our mission
- You will ensure efficiencies in the operation of a joint country team through the use of shared services
- You will oversee talent acquisition, with a particular focus on championing local talent
New business development and stakeholder relationship management:
- You will be responsible for building relationships in-country to identify new opportunities and win funding for new programmes
- You will build in-country partnerships to expand our footprint in Kenya
- You will work in close collaboration with TruTrade’s Executive Director (based in Kenya) to scale TruTrade’s business model in Kenya, forging strategic alliances and seeking out new business opportunities
- You will represent SHA and TruTrade and present in national, regional and international fora and build the profile of both organisations
Programme management & operations:
- You will develop, present and implement the strategic vision, overall goals and objectives for SHA
- You will oversee the implementation of all programmes in Kenya, ensuring SHA meets all key targets
- You will work with the Head of Programmes to ensure all programmes are effectively monitored and evaluated so we can demonstrate our success, impact and value for money
- You will work with the Head of Programmes to vet and manage any implementation partners
- You will ensure that SHA and TruTrade are recognised as thought leaders in agriculture and agribusiness in Uganda
- You will work with the Humanitarian Director to ensure growth of SHA’s portfolio of work in this space
Finance, audit and risk:
- You will oversee the financial management and will ensure programmes are delivered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring a value for money approach and that major costs are successfully recovered from programme funding
- You will work with SHA’s Head of Finance and Administration to ensure a culture of accountability and adherence to all group policies and to staff welfare and security
- You will ensure compliance with all programme and donor requirements
Required skills and experience:
- Minimum of five years’ senior management experience
- Previous experience running multi-sectoral teams to deliver complex programmes either in a development or private sector setting in sub-Saharan Africa
- A proven ability to deliver new income opportunities through proactive and sustained business development activity
- A proven ability to develop, implement and adapt organisational and business strategy
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both in formal and informal settings
- Strong financial analysis and management skills
- Fluency in English
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign the Self Help Africa Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require Police/DBS/Garda vetting.
Self Help Africa strives to be an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, then:
- A cover letter, CV and application form must be submitted through the Self Help Africa website only.
- Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and, therefore, this job posting will remain open until such time as the preferred candidate is identified.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Programme Officer NTDs at Sightsavers
- Head of Mission Tunisia at Institute for University Co-operation
- Lead Trainer at Idmibok International
- Prevention Officer at the MENTOR Initiative
- Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Officer (Spécialiste des Marchés) at World Food Programme