NRC is looking for a Country Director to join the Niger mission. The role holder will be responsible for providing both strategic direction and operational leadership to the Country Office.
If you are an experienced and seasoned leader with a track record of developing and integrating distinctive strategies; with strong coordination, networking, and stakeholder management skills; and successful experience building and leading collaborative, engaging, and effective teams, then this is the role for you!
What You Will Do
- Country strategy development and execution.
- Central and West Africa development contribution.
- Representation and coordination.
- Country-level advocacy.
- Resource allocation and mobilisation.
- Ensure structures and systems facilitate efficient support to operations.
- Cost efficiency and quality.
- Staff learning, training, and development.
- Transition support, from Area Office to Country Office.
- Adaptation of programming, based on analysis of political and humanitarian context.
- Recruit, coach and motivate effective teams.
- Stakeholder relationship development and maintenance.
What You Will Bring
- Senior Management experience.
- Humanitarian/recovery/emergency response context experience.
- Advocacy expertise.
- Change management track record.
- Start-up experience is an added advantage.
- Niger, and surrounding Sahel region, context exposure and knowledge.
- High risk, insecure, opaque, complex, and volatile context exposure.
- English and French fluency, both written and verbal.
What Makes This Position Attractive?
- In Niger, 375,000 persons are internally displaced while an additional 230,000 have sought refuge outside its borders. Niger is also a country of refuge. Endemic poverty, climate change, violence, chronically high food insecurity, and malnutrition drive extreme levels of vulnerability. Civilians are facing a dramatic protection crisis in conflict-affected regions. This is an opportunity to contribute to the protection and assistance of vulnerable and crisis-affected people.
- In 2019, NRC opened a joint Burkina Faso – Niger operation. As humanitarian needs have increased and NRC’s programme portfolio continues to grow, NRC Niger will spit from NRC Burkina Faso as a stand-alone Country Office in 2023. This presents a unique, exciting, and challenging opportunity to support in the transition from an Area Office to a Country Office.
- The Country Director will lead a dedicated team of over 80 colleagues to develop, grow, and implement quality humanitarian programmes. He/she will build upon the three years of NRC experience in Niger to lead the scale-up in coordination, advocacy, and operations.
- From its field offices, NRC delivers Protection; Education; Information, Counselling, and Legal Assistance, Shelter; Livelihoods and Food Security; and Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene programming. NRC meets immediate humanitarian needs, prevents further displacement, and contributes to durable solutions.
- The donor portfolio includes the Humanitarian Aid department of the European Commission (ECHO); the German Federal Foreign Office; the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida); the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR); the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF); the US Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA); and the US Bureau for Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM).
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility.
What We Offer
- Niamey, Niger duty station.
- 24-months contract duration ((=renewable, subjecting to funding and need).
- 40% travel, approximately.
- Grade 12 in NRC’s Salary Scale. NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to diversity without distinction to age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
- We think outside the box, encourage ideas, and give responsibility to all employees at all levels. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
The full Job Description can be found on our website.
How to apply
To view the Job Description, and to apply, please click here.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Chargé.e de Transparence et Conformité – Bangui at ACTED
- Water & Habitat Engineer Nairobi at International Committee of the Red Cross
- Regional Director, Finance at Last Mile Health
- Field Officer at Horn of Africa Peace Network
- Niger: Responsable Logistique Pays – Niamey at ACTED