INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Finance Coordinator
Duty station: Tripoli (with travels to Benghazi and Sabha) and Tunis
Starting date: 01/05/2023
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Finance team (4 finance officers – 3 in Libya and 1 in Tunisia)
Dependents: non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian humanitarian organization that aims to provide immediate response, protection and durable solutions to populations affected by humanitarian crises, assisting the most vulnerable groups.
In Libya INTERSOS is active since 2018, operating in 3 bases, across West, East and South. INTERSOS in Libya aims to alleviate suffering of the most vulnerable population groups in Libya, in particular with a focus on access to essential services and strengthen capacity of local authorities, local organizations and communities to prevent and mitigate the effects of the protracted crisis in Libya, developing a protection conducive environment and enhancing community resilience, with programs focused on Education, Protection, Health, WASH/public works and Livelihoods/Food Security.
General purpose of the position
The Country Finance Coordinator is responsible for the proper technical performance of all accounting-financial activities of the mission and its projects. In this context, he/she ensures the correct and effective management of finance, in accordance with the Organization procedures.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To assume responsibility for cash account administration, ensuring conformity to existing procedures; shortages or thefts must be reported, bearing the joint signature of both, the Country Finance Officer and the Head of Mission;
- To manage the bank accounts of the mission and provide the Regional Finance Coordinator with monthly bank statements and bank reconciliations;
- To update the economic and financial status of the mission and related-projects, in terms of expenses, appropriations, available cash and liquidity (NPW);
- To update Libya Mission Forecast and Recovery tool;
- To provide on weekly basis the updated economic and financial data (NPW) to the Project Manager’s, the Head of Mission and Regional Finance Coordinator;
Budget preparation and control
- To provide support to the Head of Mission in the drafting of new projects;
- To regularly check, in collaboration with the Project Managers and Head of Mission, the economic-financial performance of projects: final balance, expenditure excess, expenditure projections, and financial forecast;
- To ensure project expenses are reasonable, allocable, prudent and spend in accordance with INTERSOS and donors rules and regulations, and support annual auditing procedures;
- To prepare and verify, in cooperation with the Head of Mission, the trend of the general coordination’s budget;
- To monitors the sustainability of coordination’s office and verify the correct distribution/allocation of the general coordination costs to the projects; to monitor the coordination and projects’ non-deductible costs;
Financial reporting and audit compliance
- To prepare the interim and final financial reports and submit them to the Regional Finance Coordinator for approval;
- To prepare and carry out the audits conducted in the country, and for the transmission to the central headquarter of all project documents to be audited in Italy; Ensure eligibility of all expenses;
- Ensure compliance with all INTERSOS and donors regulation related to Finance and Human Resources, and communicate it proactively with other departments;
- To ensures the correct filing of all projects’ data;
- To ensure the proper execution of goods, works and services procurement processes and conformity to INTERSOS and donors procedures;
- Ensure adequacy with Libyan ministries national reporting and accounting standards for INGOs;
- Confidentiality and accountability
Required profile and experience
Advanced university degree in finance, business administration or other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in emergency and humanitarian, in field locations as well.
- Proven computer skills (proven computer literacy), especially in excel, word and other database software, database management skills.
Proven computer skills (proven computer literacy), especially in excel, word and other data base software, database management skills.
- Excellent English language skills are mandatory.
- Good Arabic and French language is a preferable.
- Stress-resilient to be able to cope with deadlines and complex problems
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills
- Flexibility in working hours
- Ability to maintain accurate, clear and updated records/report
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/6405f829fb19c7002ad6a6f2/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Coordinateur Technique Urgence – Goma at ACTED
- Technical Coordinator Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) – Juba at ACTED
- Directeur.trice Pays Adjoint – Opérations de terrain & Mise en Œuvre Projets – Ouagadougou at ACTED
- Responsable Finance Pays – Bangui at ACTED
- Responsable de Projets WASH Infra – Gao at ACTED